_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Health and Safety
Have a question about what is safe or an experience that might warn others?
Yet another health related topic
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 01:10 AM UTC
Are we exposing ourselves too much to danger, despite taking precautions? Are we suffering from too much building?

I noticed my hands are aching more than before. Today, I was having a hard time doing simple slicing, but my hands were painful just handling the knife and applying pressure. And I haven't been building that much, since I've been busy doing more pressing matters. I'm beginning to think I've got a form of arthiritis - at a young (?) age of 24.
steve203
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 01:33 AM UTC
Maybe Carpel Tunnel not sure if it's spelled right.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 01:52 AM UTC
It maybe putting too much pressure on cutting the model. Give your hand some massaging

By the way, now I know you're just 24!
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 01:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Are we exposing ourselves too much to danger, despite taking precautions? Are we suffering from too much building?

I noticed my hands are aching more than before. Today, I was having a hard time doing simple slicing, but my hands were painful just handling the knife and applying pressure. And I haven't been building that much, since I've been busy doing more pressing matters. I'm beginning to think I've got a form of arthiritis - at a young (?) age of 24.

Not having problems lately after 7 years of modeling....
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 02:59 AM UTC
I never had problems at all. Instead of using a knife to separate the parts from the sprue did you try to lend your wife/mother/fiancee/daughter nail cutter or using (as I do) a cutter of the ones used to cut electronic components pins off the board? The later have the great advantage to cut parts straight, reducing or eliminating the need for later sanding/filing too...
Ciao
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 679 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 10:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe Carpel Tunnel not sure if it's spelled right

its possible and you dont need to be old to have it, once youve got it though it can be quite painfull and you could need an operation.
If in doubt get it checked out. Hopefully it'll be nothing to worry about but better safe than sorry!
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 12:39 PM UTC
SR: did I say 24? I meant 24k - 24,000 years old hehehe (yeah when you saw me I reckon you thought I'm an old geezer hehehehe)

CTS? I hope not! Both hands are somewhat "sleepy" (y'know, when you wake up early in the morning, something like that). I hope it isn't CTS. I'll try giving them a very warm water bath - maybe that'll work.
KiwiDave
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 248 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 04:02 PM UTC
I have recently been suffering from a problem with my left wrist which the doc says is tendonitis. This has only developed since my recent change to armour which has seen me doing an hour or more to my model everyday, whereas when car modelling I would usually do an hour or so a week.

May be coincidence but the left hand is the one that does all the holding of bits, squeezing, twisting etc while my right hand uses tools which it is used to.

It is proving a real pain (no pun intended) as I cannot ride my motorcycle.

Regards Dave
Shahrid
Visit this Community
Damansara, Malaysia
entire network: 116 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 05:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe Carpel Tunnel not sure if it's spelled right.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome usually present with numbness and tingling sensation usually at your thumb till ring fingers .Pain may occur sometimes. Oftenly occurs early in the morning during cold weather or after putting your wrist in flexion for several minutes. May occur in young people .
Your symptoms may be due to callosities building under your fingers skin. I suggest you to see your local doctor for check up
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 07:54 PM UTC
Callosities? As in callous (sp?) - thick build-up of skin, or something like that?

I'll try to set an appointment with the HMO. Been quite busy. Thanks.
stressor
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
entire network: 44 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 06:16 PM UTC
well, there are a lot of possible causes why your hand aches:
1. juvenile arthritis - arthritis that occurs in the young
2. carpal tunnel syndrome
3. over use doing something in private :-)
4. a dislocated tendon
5. a simple myalgia - muscle pain
6. neuritis

but I think its just #4 :-) :-) :-)
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 11:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

3. over use doing something in private :-)

Overdiong something in private? What do you actually mean? :-) :-) :-) I think it's what I know
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 11:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I never had problems at all. Instead of using a knife to separate the parts from the sprue did you try to lend your wife/mother/fiancee/daughter nail cutter or using (as I do) a cutter of the ones used to cut electronic components pins off the board? The later have the great advantage to cut parts straight, reducing or eliminating the need for later sanding/filing too...
Ciao

What your trying to say is a wire cutter/ plies. I use my X-Acto knife to cut the model from the sprue.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 12:03 AM UTC
The correct tool for the job can really make a difference. I'd use 'nips' or cutters to remove pieces from the sprue. Sanding blocks and even a rotary tool for big jobs.

Also a sharp blade on a knife will reduce the amount of pressure you need.

I'm a huge fan of slow and steady pace. I use a sharp knife and only take of bits at a time. I typically take longer but I don't apply as much pressure and it is an easy smooth repititious stroke.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 12:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What your trying to say is a wire cutter/ plies. I use my X-Acto knife to cut the model from the sprue.

Wire cutters/sprue cutters are a much better choice in removing parts from the sprue. At some point, there will come a time when htings will slip and you'll find out just what human muscle tissue looks like, up close and personal.
 _GOTOTOP