_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Heller- Quality? Anything worth getting?
GhengisWong
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 74 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 03:52 AM UTC
Model Expo has 40% off all Heller models for the next few days, but I've never heard many good things about them. Anyone have any recommendations on whether this is worth it and any kits they'd recommend.

Thanks,
Ghengis
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 564 Posts
KitMaker Network: 138 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 03:58 AM UTC
I have had their 1/24 FW190A and JU87B kits, and they are pretty nice...

Scott
MadMeex
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
entire network: 424 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 04:41 AM UTC
Personally, I rather like Heller kits.

They're the about only source of many interesting topics, like the inter-war French stuff, and other non-mainstream topics. I veer away from their 109's & other kits that have been done to death by other manufacturers, but who else will produce Swedish J-21's, PZL-23 Kara', and I think their Fouga Magister is a very nice kit.

So, if you want to venture a bit off of the beaten track, then Heller has nice options.

Mika H.
GhengisWong
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 74 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 04:50 AM UTC
Thanks for the info guys. I'm on the same wavelength with you, MadMeex. I just ordered a few kits and got a J-21's, PZL-23 and a Fouga Magister. Went totally with the less mainstream stuff. At $2.99 a kit, I figured it was worth it to try out some different stuff.

Thanks again,
Ghengis
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 04:51 AM UTC
Ola

My only experience with heller was a Kubelwagen With a tent and two figures. The boxart shows the Kubel with on the background one of the figs inspecting a coastal defense thingy. This vehicle was (as I remebered it) quite good. Too bad my skills weren`t that good at the time to make something of it but as I remeber it it was quite ok

Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,667 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 05:12 AM UTC
you may already be aware of this but there are ties between Airfix and Heller so if there's something you fancy in the airfix/heller ranges perhaps nows your chance to get one cheap.
I have the Heller A10 kit (operation deny flight) and it's quite nice, other than that i have no experience with Heller at all.
HTH
Peter
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 05:38 AM UTC
For 40% off it's worth to give them a try, in my view. I've only got a couple of AMX VTTs that I have to convert into Italians. I just made some "dry fits" but the parts seem to go together well...
Ciao
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 06:13 AM UTC
They have a tendancy to over-engineer kits. But I recently bought a Heller Kubelwagen and inside was the old Italeri kit. If you want a 1/35 scale LeClerc or AMX-30, they are your only choice. For a Leopard or Gepard, look to someone else's kit.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 03:39 AM UTC
Don't forget their AMX 13/75 pretty reasonable kit as is their great lit of the HMS victory. but clear your table top before starting that one I t took me two ywears with rigging.

Josh Weingarten AKa shiryon
 _GOTOTOP