Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Question for the Firefox users
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 09:31 AM UTC
Has anyone else noticed a lack of speed in the latest versions of Firefox? I'm up to version 3.5.2 right now, but started noticing it after the previous version was installed.

Edited to ask a moderator to fix the stupid mistake in the thread title!
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 10:04 AM UTC
Certainly! I'm currently running 3.0.11, and it's clearly more sluggish than version 2, in fact it feels kind of "stickier" than any previous version I've used. I've had it up to 3.5 to see if the sluggishness was just due to some bugs or what have you, but no, it was still the same.
I even backdated to the last version 2 to verify that I wasn't seeing things. I wasn't, the older version ran much smoother, especially noticable dealing with bookmarks and the bookmarks menu. Start-up times, especially when first opening Firefox after turning on the computer also seem to have grown significantly.
Although it's not that unbearable or anything, pretty much the only reason I'm running version 3 at the moment is the support for this fine ad-blocker plugin I'm using.

It's funny how the developers have made wild claims on how the new version is supposed to be many times faster than the old... Although I'm not that sure whether they were referring to it's speed when executing javascript for example, and not the overall performance...
Tomcat31
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,828 Posts
KitMaker Network: 212 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2009 - 11:05 AM UTC
I couldn't say I have noticed and I'm running 3.5.2. Mind you I have a 7.2 Mbps connection on 8Mbps broadband and I've "tweeked" Firefox to perform better.

See Here for how to make Firefox faster.

You could also check Here

It worked for me I but I will NOT be held responsible if it screws up your Firefox.

Hope this helps
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 05:30 AM UTC
I was actually looking at various tweaking tips some time ago but didn't try them out. Thanks to you reminding, I tried the pipelining tweak. I think it boosted loading times somewhat.

But the main issue I was talking wasn't network performance, but the overal smoothness of the browser.
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 09:20 AM UTC
Thanks Allen. I'll give some of those a try. It's a shame though that they take a really great product and then in an effort to make it better end up with something that's not that much better than the competition.