_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Painting natural metal/using Alclad
MikeMx
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 160 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 05:33 AM UTC
I've experimented with alclad laquer and i'm a bit disappointed with the results. So far its no better than using Tamiya bare metal silver aerosols. I have the Aluminium alclad laquer and was wondering how shiny can this be or would I just be better getting some of the highly polished Aluminium as well? Also has anyone got anyone got any tips for really shiny metal finishes without using alclad?

thanks
Mike
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 894 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 09:09 PM UTC
well,

when it comes to painting, Alclad would be your best option if you know how to use it. The airplane guys should be able to tell you all about it. I believe it works best on a high gloss black base coat and it needs some polishing afterwards.

If you want something else you can use something called "bare metal foil" or BMF. It is some kind of strange metal foil that you can put on plastic and it even goes around corners without wrinkling. This stuff needs a 100% perfect surface since any flaw will be visible. I have used it myself once but I messed up, but I am sure that was due to my lack of skills.

If you are going to paint only small details, I can recommend the Vallejo metal paints. If they are applied in multiple thin layers the result is very good
wombat58
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 366 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2009 - 12:58 AM UTC
Hi Mike.

I am in the process of painting a Constellation and because it will be in the early Qantas Empire Airways scheme the entire aircraft was a polished Aluminium. I am using Alclad2 Highly Polished Aluminium for the first time and so far the result is pretty good. I followed the instructions and applied a coat of gloss black acrylic (water) and waited overnight to dry.Then I sprayed several very light coats of Alclad, spraying at only 12psi, the result is very pleasing. I have yet to do the engine cowls and props in the Alclad Chrome.
I hope you get good results with your painting, it just takes a lot of prep work and a lot of time but the end result is gratifying

Cheers

Des.

Current projects;
WNW Junkers J.1
Roden de Havilland DH-2
WNW Bristol F.2b
Heller Constellation (for a mate)
MikeMx
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2009 - 01:20 AM UTC
I have some gloss black base coat and some highly polished aluminium on its way. now I just have to work out which kits to paint in normal aluminium and which to paint in highly polished aluminium! My 'silver' plane list is so far
P51D Mustang
B24 Liberator
B29 Superfortress
Meteor Mk8
Super Mystere
Mig 15
F86F Sabre
BAC Lightning Mk6

I have some books on Israeli aircraft and the only IAF planes I've found so far in with a polished finished are Mirage III's. So i'm thinking of using the normal finish on the Meteor and Super Mystere and working out what to use on the others!

thanks
Mike
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2009 - 07:46 AM UTC
Alclad is great stuff.

The only 2 colors that need to go on a Gloss Black base are the Polished Aluminum and the Chrome. I have used Humbrol Gloss Black (enamel) with both colors and they look great.

Alclad says you are supposed to use an Acrylic Gloss Black on the Polished Aluminum, but it works with pretty much any gloss black.

If you don't use the gloss black base, both colors will just come out looking like normal Aluminum, no shine, no gloss.
MikeMx
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2009 - 08:18 AM UTC
Thanks for that tip - I used the normal aluminium on top of my usual matt black primer. That might explain why it just looked like an aerosol silver colour.

thanks
Mike
 _GOTOTOP