Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
"Joe" is nearly done!
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2009 - 09:18 AM UTC
Hey all!

Okay, it's pretty well known that I'm a "former" Artilleryman. Though I was Fire Direction for 20 years, "Pullin' the Tail" was one of the highlights.

My buddy was able to get me a "Training Round" a couple of years ago (wish I had a "before" picture! ).

This one is an M116E2 round: Projectile, 155MM, Smoke, HC, BE. Its original paint coat consisted of the traditional OD'ish color and several brush "swipes" of light blue (designating TRAINING). It also had a blue plastic(?) band covering the brass.

I took a wire brush (in my drill) and removed all paint....down to brass and steel. Primed it, then painted the base in the yellow and the main body in red (Artillery colors you know). I'll probably pull out the Dremel and polish up the brass ring.

Ultimately, my intention is to attach my ranks and unit crests (DUIs) to "Joe," and make a wood base for it to sit on. I'm also looking for a proper piece of wood I can put on my lathe and "turn" a "fuze" for it (to replace the nose-plug (lifting lug)).

More to follow!

Mike
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 785 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2009 - 11:27 AM UTC
It looks really cool Mike. As an FDO with Bravo 6/29 in Germany I remember those rounds. I think "smurf blue" would have been a better color Ha ha. Anyway looks like it'll turnout great>
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 - 01:48 PM UTC
Sweet Mike looks killer.

I am jealous.

TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 - 05:13 PM UTC
Anthony,

29th FA? I was supposed to go to 3/29 FA here at Fort Carson.....didn't happen. Went to USAG instead and ran the M16 ranges. Admittedly, it was fun.

Jeff,

Thanks. I'm "diggin' it!" Took a long time to finally get one and needless to say - I'm happy!

I've started an initial base for "Joe." It's about 6 inches square by 1/2 inch thick. I routed the edges and then painted it red. My intent is to remove the red overspray on the top (to let the natural wood come through) and clear coat it. Personally, I think it's too small by an inch all around and too thin.

Matt (Red 4) gave me some 2 inch thick Purpleheart......I'll probably use that instead; 7 x 7 x 2 inches should do it.

I'm going to Woodcraft tomorrow to get some hose clamps for my dust collection system; I'll look for an appropriate piece of wood to turn the "fuze."

Mike
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 09:31 PM UTC
I am on to ebay and see if they have one.

Right.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 01:16 AM UTC
Jeff,

Not sure if this will work for you: Here

Oh, forgot to mention; I have a green bag powder canister too. Now that one I wish were full!

Mike
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 01:44 AM UTC
Email sent .
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 03:59 AM UTC
Thanks Matt.

Here's a "generic" picture of the wood I'll use for the "fuze:"

I bought a 3 x 3 x 12 turning block of the Bloodwood from Woodcraft this week. Cost wise it was fair.....more than enough to turn the fuze and leave a fair amount leftover for figgy bases and the like.

Mike
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 04:04 AM UTC
Almost forgot....

The fuze I'll replicate:

Not going to try and recreate a time fuze in wood.

Mike
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 12:50 AM UTC
The Purpleheart base is done (cutting, routing, finishing):

There's not really enough room on the base to put nine unit crests there, so they may wind up going on "Joe."

And, I'm waiting until I get some $$ to turn the fuze....I need a honing jig for my tools first.

Mike
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 785 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 04:38 PM UTC
I was headind to 3/29th in April of 1991, but my orders got changed and ended up in MI in Arzione, For the rest of my active duty time. I'm OD green with envey over your Shell. I snuck an empty illum casing out of NTC. After my active duty time went back to 2/89th FA as a battery Co used it as a butt can. Wish I had it now.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 11:32 PM UTC
Well Mike I have those was looking for a Training round also.

I almost had a 105 a long time back a real one but everybody got cold feet at the end.

Can't say I blame anybody.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 04:00 AM UTC
Here's the powder canister I have (Charge 2, Green Bag):

I did a Google search for HOW 155MM M1 (as seen in the second picture) to confirm the M1 Howitzer. Until I really looked at the canister, I had thought this was for an M109-series SP. Heheheh, apparently it's from/for a "Long Tom."

HOW 155MM M1

OR......would the canister belong to one of these: M114 155MM Howitzer, as it was originally designated the "M1?"

Dunno..........

Mike
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 04:47 AM UTC
Matt Leese just sent me this link: Big Sky Surplus

I took a look through their listing (some of the links at the top of their page don't work, so you may have to scroll through the page to find what you're looking for - photos are available for some of the items by clicking on the "camera" icon next to each heading) and their prices are, uh, shall we say, pricey.

Thanks Matt!

Mike
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 02:55 AM UTC
Thanks for that link Mike.

I guess need to start saving some at $650.00 smack -a-roos dang was at a lot of bases where the cases were all over 20 MM and a few dude others but kind of stay away from things that are real big and did not go off.

I do have a 105 MM steel case that I found many moons ago that fell off the recycle truck while cruising the base.

But end is dented in maybe take to a shop and have them re round it.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 03:34 AM UTC
Jeff,

I'd be inclined to think a "regular ole" machine shop would have the ability to re-round the case's end. It'd be worth it I'm thinking. Artillery rounds are "talk worthy!" A couple of my ex-Army friends were pretty stunned at seeing mine (some of the "stun" was lost when they were informed it wasn't a "hot" round!).

Mike