_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Tenax R.I.P.
DoctorFaust
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 67 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2009 - 09:39 PM UTC
Sucks when a favorite modeling product disappears. For anyone that is interested, Tenax plastic cement is offically out of production.

Now I got to find a different nuclear powered plastic cement.
Jeff8600
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 254 Posts
KitMaker Network: 175 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2009 - 04:11 PM UTC
I tried Tenax some years ago and didn't like it I use the Tamiya ultra thin cement and like it alot
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2009 - 06:40 AM UTC
Anthony
I just ran out of my Tenax and went to my favorite hobby shop for a bottle (or two). I was so bummed to find out it's no longer in production. I also heard that Plasticstruct cement (not the light version) is also under attack because of its chemical composition.

Wish I had known Tenax was going out - I would have picked up a case...
HM2Somers
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 51 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 08:05 AM UTC
Micro Mark make the same stuff as Tenax called "Same Stuff"! I've been using it and it appears about the same. Pam
linkname
tigerproductions
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 238 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 04:10 AM UTC
How is that Hope and Change treating us now.

Under the new administration the EPA is going to go nuts on the hobby. They are going to regulate everything we use and drive a ton of small cottage industry folks out of business. Wait till they get a hold of resin and start regulating that. Goodby small resin manufacturers and suppliers. Say bye bye to the resin aftermarket.

This is what happens when environmentalist are given a free pass to do what they want.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 04:34 AM UTC
Hey, Jose, how ya doing? Welcome to Armorama.

If the OP is accurate, I'm not so sure this is an environmental issue. Here are the financials on the manufacturer, "HEBCO INC is in the Adhesives and Sealants industry in HOHENWALD, TN. This company currently has approximately 1 to 5 employees and annual sales of Under $500,000." That doesn't apear to be a big business and this is a pretty niche type product. It's been around for 30 years, so it's possible, if it's gone, the owner just up and retired. They have no website so it doesn't sound like a cutting edge business.

On the other hand, I have also not been able to find any other reference to this being out of production or out of stock at on-line vendors in the couple weeks since this has been posted. Walther's site has this under the product description: "Delivery Information: Almost always available." Neither Squadron nor Greatmodels indicate there's a supply issue.

Uruk-Hai
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 795 Posts
KitMaker Network: 109 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 05:39 AM UTC
Well I have been using this for the past 15 years. Its much better than Teenax, doesnt smell as bad, not anyway near as harmful and it goes for about 13:00 USD per litre.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethyl_acetate

I guess it can be bought at a drugstore or where they sell paint. Only backdraw might be that it evaporates a bit faster than Teenax so put in small bottles with small necks. I use it to dilute Humbrol Putty so I can brush it on.

Cheers
7thCavmedic
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 40 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 06:31 AM UTC
I just ordered 3 bottles....
 _GOTOTOP