_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Panel lines
cultcollectables
Visit this Community
Ireland
entire network: 29 Posts
KitMaker Network: 21 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 12:51 AM UTC
hi all

just a question for you all. im doing the tamiya 1/48 A-10 and have never done panel lines with an airbrush before. the plastic is a dark green color so im going to prime the model first with halfords grey primer becasue the paint scheme is 3 different shades of green. so the question is would it be ok to do the panel lines in black? and what psi would i use on the compressor?

(really nervous about this one guys)

david
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 894 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2009 - 03:30 AM UTC
Hi David,

black is okay. If it is too dark, a bit of extra paint when spraying the top colour can resolve that problem. What you have too watch out for is if you spray close to the model that the paint is still wet when it hits the model. What you get then is that the inner part of your sprayed line has little paint and the out part has most of it. Covering this is a big problem. So use as little PSI as you can without splattering. I work between 0.5 an 0.8 BAR for these things, don't know how much PSI that is from the top of my head. Paint should be thinned well, but not too thin to prevent the problem I mentioned above. I suggest you practice first on a piece of plastic. Don't try paper or carboard because it will absorb the paint
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2009 - 03:55 PM UTC
Hello David,
Black is all right to use, but lately I found it is better to use a dark gray or NATO black. As Mat suggested practice first. I was a bit nervous at first myself, but I thought hey I‘d never learn if I do not try it.

For my mixture, it was 50-50 paint & thinner, and then sprayed on around 10 to 12 lbs of pressure along the panel lines. It does not have to be very neat so as long you have filled into the lines.

In this photo, you can see what I have done, on the left the black is applied, and then the gray is filled in slowly by building up in layers.

Finished result

Here is a A-10 build using the Hobby Boss kit, may or may not help but I thought I’d pass it onto you.

A-10

Looking forward to you build posting.

Happy Modeling,
Joe S.
cultcollectables
Visit this Community
Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 05:01 AM UTC
hi joe

yea i seen your A-10 on here and is being a great reference to me thanks a million for that.
the only thing im just after noticing is the panel lines on the tamiya a-10 are raised. so would this change how i approch it?

david

thanks mat for the advice much appreciated

also joe how do you achieve your weathered rust affect? airbrush? pastels?
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 11:59 AM UTC
Dave,
Most times I use oils for panel lines and weathering.

Back to your A-10, raised panel lines...no problem. Just as engraved spray on the paint and back fill in the base colors.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
cultcollectables
Visit this Community
Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 01:33 PM UTC
brilliant stuff joe thanks a million.

and yet another question.. what oils do you use?

regards

david
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 04:32 PM UTC
The colors I mainly use for the panel lines...Lamp Black, Paynes Gray, and weathering are Burnt Sienna, Raw Umber and Yellow Ochre. Just look over your reference photos for what colors are needed. Oh yeah, I also use oderless turpentine.

When using oils be sure you gloss coat over your project, if not the oils will soak up into the flat paints and stain it. I like using Acrylic Floor Wax, it's getting harder to find these days. I say look around in those dollars stores.

Anything else just feel free to ask, thats why we're here.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
cultcollectables
Visit this Community
Ireland
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 12:21 AM UTC
great!! yea i always use johnson klear over my models.

sorry again just could you tell me where you buy your oils? or what company does them?

david
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 10:12 AM UTC
They can be bought just about at any art supply store or craft store. As for a brand name, any would work. What I have are the Windsor Newton brands...also small tubes I buy. They last a very long time, heck I've had mine for the last 10 years or so.

Joe
Prop47
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 19 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 11:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

They can be bought just about at any art supply store or craft store. As for a brand name, any would work. What I have are the Windsor Newton brands...also small tubes I buy. They last a very long time, heck I've had mine for the last 10 years or so.

Joe

Ladies and gentleman this is the gentleman that brought me over to this fine site. So if I make mistakes blame it on Joe, if i do well, then i will take all the credit!!
cultcollectables
Visit this Community
Ireland
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 02:18 AM UTC
hi all

well i tried doing my first ever panel lines and it turned into a bit of a disaster on the tamiya a-10 the whole model is primed looked fantastic. so i tried to just do the panel lines on one wing it looked ok to start with but my patience got the better of me and i had to try the first layer of green so i mixed up 50% olive green and 50% yellow green as the instructions said it just didnt look right for a start. then i dont know iif i over sprayed it but it looked awful. so feeling a bit down now :-(
cultcollectables
Visit this Community
Ireland
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 02:26 AM UTC
plus i dont know how to upload photos to show you all
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 09:34 AM UTC
Sorry to hear about your painting problem Dave, without looking at what you did it's hard to help. So lets work on getting photos posted first.

Send me your email address, I have some photos for you to look over that will help upload pics.

Joe
cultcollectables
Visit this Community
Ireland
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 11:28 AM UTC
thanks a mill joe

its

thanks again

david

and thanks for your time also :-)
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 11:56 AM UTC
Email on the way in the next moment...Dave pull your email off now or at least change it out like...instead of @ use at and .com use dot com. This will save you from trouble from spammers.

Joe
cultcollectables
Visit this Community
Ireland
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 12:27 PM UTC
thanks alot joe for everything. i think it might be the airbrush i got two cheap ones with a compressor they are double action but not great and i have a badger 300.. just just about an hour ago i bought a aztek A7778 metal airbrush for $160 dollars and is 250 euro here so hopefully that will help me. i see brett green using azteks all the time so i just went for it.
its only my sixth model to do so i know i have a long way to get to your standard of modelling

thanks also for the heads up about the email.

here are the pics and advice tips will be greatful

david
Removed by original poster on 07/30/09 - 23:34:49 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 07/30/09 - 23:39:22 (GMT).
cultcollectables
Visit this Community
Ireland
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 12:41 PM UTC

joe or anbody please can you tell me if even the colour looks ok
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 01:02 PM UTC
Well if your doing the European One paint scheme then that color looks pretty darn close, I just checked my reference books...again it looks right.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
cultcollectables
Visit this Community
Ireland
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 01:18 PM UTC
but i messed up the panel line work and need some advice on what im doing wrong
it looks nasty
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 02:37 PM UTC
Dave,
Like I said in the PM, your almost there. Here is a photo that will give you some idea. With a little practice you have it right as rain.

Look over my first photo, you can just see a faint hint of my black paint, that's just about what you want.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 03:13 PM UTC
Not to butt in, btw, hey joe, long time no see...but what you might want to try is to fill in each panel alittle closer to each line...I can see "alittle" too much black/grey near some of the panel line recesses. You seem to have good control of your AB, so use that to your advantage.
I liken painting around panle lines like painting the faces of bricks on a house...don't over paint the mortar with the new color, just concentrate on painting the panels, not the lines. If you have to go back and touch up some spots by lightly fogging on the color coat in a few areas, then simply go back and touch up slow and easy. Control and practice gets it done...now....I should practice what I preach cause I'm really good for having to retouch alot still{hahaha}.
cultcollectables
Visit this Community
Ireland
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 - 01:01 AM UTC
listen guys i cant thank you enough for all your help its something i have been dreading to learn but cant wait to have it mastered whenever that may be. hopefully the new airbrush will help me with this also. again many thanks

david

joe that picture is a great refference cheers

oh by the way my girlfriend said are you polish haha because she is
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 - 05:48 AM UTC
Tell your girl yes I am and "Dziękuję". Your lucky, do you get home cooked polish plates.

Joe
 _GOTOTOP