_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
My new toy..
KiwiDave
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 248 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 08:31 AM UTC
During construction of my first armour model, the Centurion, I found I was handling the model a lot during detailing.

I had often thought about making a turntable for painting my car models, but had never considered using one during construction. So I climbed up in the attic and among all the other things that I am keeping in case they come in handy I found my old Garrard turntable.

I stripped it, made a round MDF base, glued and screwed the spigot to the centre of the MDF, stuck three rubber feet on the bottom and, Viola!, my latest tool, - and at my sort of price.

It is great. I have the Chieftain sitting on it and it makes detailing a doddle as it is easy to just rotate to where light/access is best and work away. First job I did on it was fitting the wire tie downs to the turret and I found it much easier than trying to handle the model to get it into the right position.

It has an extra bonus in that when I get stuck and cant decide what to do next I just sit at the table and gaze at my rotating Chieftain till I get inspired.

Regards Dave :-)

sweatydogz
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 114 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 09:28 AM UTC
I too, use something very similar. called a 'Lazy Suzzie' its what cake decorators use, makes spraying models much more easier. :-)
 _GOTOTOP