_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Annoying shiny decals
miteco20
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 71 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 05:52 AM UTC
I have recently applied some decals to a commercial aircraft I am bulding for my boss but the decals reflect so much light it looks awful and I don't know how to prevent that. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
entire network: 1,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 06:09 AM UTC
Apply the decals on a gloss surface, use Micro Sol and Micro Set to get the decals to "blend in" with the surface. I guess your problem is "silvering", air is trapped under the decals. Micro sol might solve it, but it is harder if you did not put on a gloss coat before the decals.

Erik
miteco20
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 06:56 AM UTC
Thanks, do you mean applying a clear gloss coat directly where the decal is going. If I use these on a military model wouldn't the gloss look a little silly if the aircrafts finish is supposed to be flat and weathered?
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 3,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 899 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 07:53 AM UTC
Hi Mike,

After you have applied a gloss coat and applied the decals you go over it with a dull coat and the gloss coat does not appear.

It definitely helps take away the silvery shining look that the decals can get.

If you have already applied the decals you can still apply a dull coat to it and it will help take away the shiny look however you still might see some of the silver look anywhere there is a clear section on the decal.

HARV
BROCKUPPERCUT
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 79 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 - 05:49 AM UTC
or you could use a floor polish before and after you apply the decals
miteco20
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2009 - 07:58 AM UTC
I usually use Model Master II acrylics and on one of our product reviews from Testors here at Hobbico tells me that with the new paint system a gloss coat before using the solution isn't needed. Has anyone found thi sto be true? Thanks again!
vanize
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 121 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2009 - 08:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I usually use Model Master II acrylics and on one of our product reviews from Testors here at Hobbico tells me that with the new paint system a gloss coat before using the solution isn't needed. Has anyone found thi sto be true? Thanks again!

yeah, no. You DEFINITELY still need the gloss-coat and the decal solvent. Only exception to that is high gloss paint that is applied very well.

best to put the decal setting solution or decal solvent on once the extra water is gone just after positioning the decal but before the decal is fully dry. if it can wick under into the areas that might cause air pockets, that is the best situation.
miteco20
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2009 - 08:23 AM UTC
Awesome guys! Thanks!
 _GOTOTOP