_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
I'm moving, oh my
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
entire network: 2,365 Posts
KitMaker Network: 474 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 11:34 AM UTC
Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,
I seek your advice in the following: I'm moving to England into a dorm (back to grad school).
This means I need to ship all my models in Hungary as I have no permanent base in this continent -and I do have some 20+ kits, plus built ones. Unfortunately (or fortunately) selling is not an option, because I got rid of their boxes last year, when I desperately needed space (another move), so I ended up with the following boxes filled up with sprues and some tools:
20X20X15 inches: 3 pieces
21X21X10
15X15X16
14X20X8
12X23X12: Christmas ornament box, full of finished kits (excellent way to store them, by the way.)

Now what. They are not heavy, but they're kind of big. Does anyone have any experience shipping dioramas or whatnot internationally? How do businesses (like Luckymodel) ship stuff -like the 1/16 King Tiger- relatively cheap?
Thank you all for your time
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 894 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 07:03 PM UTC
well, large companies such as Lucky Model have contracts with postal/package service proveiders such as TNT, UPS etc...Because of the hight volume they ship, they get relatively low price compared to any individual. Parcel carriers are okay when you want to ship unbuild kits, but don't send anything else. If you have ever seen how they stuff all the packages in a container, your heart would stop for a minute and you would never send your dio's that way.

Safest way to get everything packed on a wooden pallet and in a wooden crate and have it shipped by sea and road. Takes a lot longer but your dio's have a bigger chance of surviving. But still your stuff will have a bumpy ride. I work in logistics and I know how these things go. Even if you put "FRAGILE" on your pallet, it still will get treated roughly all the way through Europe.

There are many normal transport companies in HU that have trucks to the UK on almost a daily basis. If you can have them to put your stuff on a so called "direct truck" (no unloading and loading into different trucks you have a good chance your stuff will arrive with little damage.
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
entire network: 2,365 Posts
KitMaker Network: 474 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 11:49 AM UTC
Thank you for the answer.
I finally found a company that ships cars to Europe and uses the leftover room in their containers for shipping boxes. They gave a very reasonable price; after they delivered the stuff, I'll post their contact if anyone's interested.
 _GOTOTOP