_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Question on putty..
maxpain
Visit this Community
Australia
entire network: 109 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 07:06 AM UTC
Hi

I got myself a tube of Tamiya putty the other day.. but I am wondering if there's anything better available. I'd need to for rather fine work whereever its not a drop fit.

Also - how do I apply small amounts of putty best in conceiled areas / around fine details and what do you use to sand it down again afterwards ?

Thx for your help
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 07:39 AM UTC
The finest grade putty I've found is the Squadron White. It is superfit grit, as opposed to the Grey (medium) and Yellow (coarse). I often thin my putty with liquid Tenax glue.. I can then get a superfine fill in fine lines. For sanding, well - it depends on the shape and material... of a flat surface like the edges of a tank chasis, I use a medium-grit then a fine grit sanding stick.If it is a curved area, like the fusulage of a plane, or the commanders coupla on a tank, I prefer to use superthin sheets of fine & medium grit paper, wrapped over a soft facial sponge.... course, that's just how I do it! - Keith
maxpain
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 01:57 PM UTC
Thx KFMagee...

any other input ???
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 939 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 10:18 PM UTC
Hi again Mr. Pain!

Tamiya putty (the stuff with the orange cap) can be thinned with liquid model cement (Testors or whatever). If you are trying to get a small amount of putty in a small space, try using a toothpick dipped in liquid cement as a putty trowel/applicator.

Another useful product is Mr. Surfacer from Gunze Sangyo. It's a primer, but thick. I have the Mr. Surfacer 500, and it's like a liquid putty. Again good for getting in small places, or for filling in scratches.

And, as I mentioned in my e-mail to you, I have found Elmer's water soluble carpenter's putty is good. It can be stuffed in a small place, then literally washed away with water, leaving a little putty in place. Then you can shape it with a toothpick or dental tool.

Cheers
maxpain
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2002 - 12:58 PM UTC
Cheers!

I tried the cement in putty and it worked great...
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2002 - 01:27 PM UTC
I use Squadron white. It works very well for me.
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2002 - 10:45 AM UTC
Putty's
I use pretty much only Magic Sculpt. it is really easy to get along with, and you can do anything with it. It is a 2 component epoxy, where you mix 1 part each of hardener and the resin. It cures to a resin like material, very hard and very easy to carve and/or sand. To apply in small narrow areas I use freshly mixed natch, then use a toothpick to place it where ever i need it then I use a wet brush and brush it until smooth. Magic Sculpt is great for the reason it is water soluble (?) it will thin out with water is what Im trying to say And it dont melt the plastic as some of the other putties seem to do!
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2002 - 10:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Putty's
I use pretty much only Magic Sculpt. it is really easy to get along with, and you can do anything with it. It is a 2 component epoxy, where you mix 1 part each of hardener and the resin. It cures to a resin like material, very hard and very easy to carve and/or sand. To apply in small narrow areas I use freshly mixed natch, then use a toothpick to place it where ever i need it then I use a wet brush and brush it until smooth. Magic Sculpt is great for the reason it is water soluble (?) it will thin out with water is what Im trying to say And it dont melt the plastic as some of the other putties seem to do!

Anders, very well stated. Magic Sculp is the finest grain, most sandable, shapeable (is that EVEN a word) putty there is. You can carve it or scribe it and it will not chip or splinter like the solvent based putties will. And it's volume cost is so much less compared to the other single and two-part epoxies and putties. This stuff is a no-brainer. Buy it!
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2002 - 10:53 AM UTC
I'm no expert on this, but I've read that there is a method using a Q-tip dipped in Cutex (nail-polish remover). You apply your putty normally, then, when dried, run the Cutex ladened Q-tip over the putty seam. It picks up the excess putty, and doesn't damage the plastic. At least, that's what I've read.

Mike

AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2002 - 10:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

shapeable (is that EVEN a word)

You damned Skippy its a word! and it applies 100% to Magic Sculpt (MS)
I solely use MS for fine detail work, or massive work for that matter when Im trying to sculpt. Although there are other putties that have different strengths and capabilities. And yes as far as price, I think i paid like $8-$9 bucks for a pound of it and the shelf life is excellent! And yes get some! Its available from Phil Kessling and the Pallette, I just wish I knew their web site adress I'll have to look into that, and if someone out there has it, let me know!!
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2002 - 12:42 PM UTC
I have tried 4 types of putty now and have found the tamiya to be my personal favorite. I also use Mr. Surface for small fillings. I like the squadron white also, but not as much as the Tamiya. The squadron green seems to "rubbery" for my taste and I have had it pop off the model a couple times now so I don't use it any more.
Tiger1
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 171 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2002 - 01:57 AM UTC
Tamiya Putty is good, but I seem to like Squadron White Putty the best. It sets very quickly and sands very well. :-)
maxpain
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2002 - 07:36 AM UTC
geez.. thanks for all the input guys :-)

I will have a look whether Magic Sculpt and that white Squadron stuff is available around here! I've used the Tamiya standard putty so far and found that it dries extremly quick.... mixing it up with glue helped!
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2002 - 08:50 AM UTC
[And yes as far as price, I think i paid like $8-$9 bucks for a pound of it and the shelf life is excellent! And yes get some! Its available from Phil Kessling and the Pallette, I just wish I knew their web site adress I'll have to look into that, and if someone out there has it, let me know!![/quote]
Phil's website:
The Palette Homepage
Call him evenings US Eastern time.
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 796 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2002 - 09:10 AM UTC
By far the best stuff I've used.

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2002 - 09:38 AM UTC
Ya got any more input on that salt6....
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 796 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2002 - 10:45 AM UTC
Auto body putty, final coat stuff they use before painting. Got it at a local O'Rielys(sp). About 10 bucks a couple of years ago, well more like four. Works just like SQD white and has good shelf life.

_GOTOTOP