_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Gov needs to paint some of this stuff
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 01:47 AM UTC
gosh this stuff needs some paint about a couple of grand and sand blaster first.

HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 3,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 899 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 12:57 PM UTC
I hate to see things like that not being taken care of. It is an important part of world history and they are being left to rust away.

Where did you take the picture at?

Thanks for sharing.

HARV
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 01:13 PM UTC
Looks like old pics from Aberdeen Proving grounds, but I heard they are closing there and moving to the Army Transport Museum at Fort Eustis (sp?)_ in Virginia.
redcobra04
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 235 Posts
KitMaker Network: 51 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 02:57 PM UTC
Thats FT.Lee,Va. Five minutes from my house. Supposed to move everthing from there to here. They are building a completely new museum for all of there invetory
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 12:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks like old pics from Aberdeen Proving grounds, but I heard they are closing there and moving to the Army Transport Museum at Fort Eustis (sp?)_ in Virginia.

Mike wins the Cigar.

So with Billions spent bailing out everybody,can they not afford a couple of thousand for paint?

Heck ship it to me I will get it painted.

Would not mind that 88 MM as a Lawn ornament.
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 02:08 AM UTC
So sad.
I hope the new facility has indoor displays so the pieces are protected from the elements.
If the Gov. can't take better care of historically important items in their possession they should seriously consider privatizing the collection.
C.
redcobra04
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 235 Posts
KitMaker Network: 51 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 04:42 AM UTC
From what i read in the local paper, one of the very biggest German guns they have they are erecting the building around it. They altready have alot of stuff there. Soon as the museum opens i will get some pics if anybody is interested.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 10:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Mike wins the Cigar.

So with Billions spent bailing out everybody,can they not afford a couple of thousand for paint?

It's not the cost of the paint, it is the environmental waste created while restoring the equipment. A lot of the paint originally used and leaking petroleum products must be reclaimed and disposed of while sandblasting and pressure washing the vehicles. There are very high associated costs involved with that process. There are also radiological hazards that must be addressed. Many of the old dials contain radioactive particles to make them luminescent (just like the old military compasses). There are now federal laws in place that restrict what can and can't be done to the vehicles. It does seem ridiculous to think that there are nuclear hazards because of the markings on a dial inside a tank, but they are there. I guess it prevents someone from tossing an old T-34 spedometer into the trashcan to end up in a local landfill.
bizzychicken
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 967 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 10:34 AM UTC
Funy Stuff, spent all that time and money developing NBC sealed AFV, when the crews were glowing from the insides Hope the Aberdeen Proving Grounds stuff gets saved from the elements. They seem to have some of the more rare AFV's from WWII on the planet.
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 11:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess it prevents someone from tossing an old T-34 spedometer into the trashcan to end up in a local landfill.

Just providing an opportunity to anyone considering tossing an old T-34 speedo in the bin.....send it to me, I'll risk the hazards of the luminous dial just to have one!!

Cheers,
C.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 02:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Mike wins the Cigar.

It's not the cost of the paint, it is the environmental waste created while restoring the equipment. A lot of the paint originally used and leaking petroleum products must be reclaimed and disposed of while sandblasting and pressure washing the vehicles. There are very high associated costs involved with that process. There are also radiological hazards that must be addressed. Many of the old dials contain radioactive particles to make them luminescent (just like the old military compasses). There are now federal laws in place that restrict what can and can't be done to the vehicles. It does seem ridiculous to think that there are nuclear hazards because of the markings on a dial inside a tank, but they are there. I guess it prevents someone from tossing an old T-34 spedometer into the trashcan to end up in a local landfill.

Point well taken Rob but comes down to the fact of how can an a separate individual,even though rich carry off the rebuilding and painting and restoring of WW2 vehicles and given the Government's unlimited amount of resources not be able to get stuff painted and restored and put into buildings so, the aging process will not be so bad.
I give you the Late Mr. Jacques Littlefield as the example even though a billionaire still was able to do so.
Seems to me they would rather blow smoke of why not ,then yes we can and a better project then some of the latest that are on their agenda.

The Europeans and Russians seem to do a heck of a lot better in it then the U.S. does.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 04:03 PM UTC
Yeah, the toxic run-off is what prevents groups like us from adopting a tank and cosmetically restoring it in place on the weekends. The entire collection will be indoors at Fort Lee, VA. The Leopold railway gun will be moved into place on the museum floor and the museum built around it. The move will take place over three years 2010-2012.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2009 - 03:22 AM UTC
Moving the Leopold should be quite a trick...
Shaun
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2009 - 04:18 AM UTC
we have desile and hydrolics, we can move anything. I think.
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2009 - 10:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The entire collection will be indoors at Fort Lee, VA. The Leopold railway gun will be moved into place on the museum floor and the museum built around it. The move will take place over three years 2010-2012.

Matthew, you sure about the "entire collection" moving? I live nearby the base and the local paper said that they're only moving about 50% of the collection.

And if Leopold gets moved via rail, I'd love to see the looks on peoples faces as it passes by!
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 02:17 AM UTC
Lets you our future kids sake they do it.

Cause a long way to travel to Europe to see most of it.

SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 12:16 PM UTC
By "entire collection" I meant everything to be displayed at the Museum Of The United States Army at Fort Lee, Virginia.
According to the Ordnance Museum Director, 70% of APG's vehicles will go to Ft. Lee, with the rest being dispersed to other museums.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2009 - 01:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Point well taken Rob but comes down to the fact of how can an a separate individual,even though rich carry off the rebuilding and painting and restoring of WW2 vehicles and given the Government's unlimited amount of resources not be able to get stuff painted and restored and put into buildings so, the aging process will not be so bad.
I give you the Late Mr. Jacques Littlefield as the example even though a billionaire still was able to do so.
Seems to me they would rather blow smoke of why not ,then yes we can and a better project then some of the latest that are on their agenda.

The Europeans and Russians seem to do a heck of a lot better in it then the U.S. does.

If I was the installation commander and had a limited budget that I needed to manage, painting old museum pieces would be low on my list of priority. There are probably hundreds of unfunded requirements on any military base that get deferred to next year or get a band-aid applied to hold it over until the powers that be decide the base can get the money to preserve historic armor pieces.

Unlike a private individual who can decide what he wants to do with his disposable income, we are responsible to the American taxpayer for the money we spend. Given the choice between putting in a new playground at a 1950s era housing area and painting old tanks sitting in a field, the quality of life improvement will get the vote every time.

Many of the display vehicles painted here at Fort Knox were done by extra duty personnel. Fort Knox is one of the few installations that has a stockade (Regional Correction Facility) and has the only Deserter Information Point (place where any deserter who is eventually picked up years later at a routine traffic stop is sent). Because of these two facilities, Ft. Knox does a lot of court-martials, so soldiers awaiting trial are assigned to the Personnel Control Facility (sort of like a pre-trial confinement barracks). The soldiers are then put to work painting stuff, raking leaves, etc. while they await court-martial or separation from the Army.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 03:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

If I was the installation commander and had a limited budget that I needed to manage, painting old museum pieces would be low on my list of priority. There are probably hundreds of unfunded requirements on any military base that get deferred to next year or get a band-aid applied to hold it over until the powers that be decide the base can get the money to preserve historic armor pieces.

Unlike a private individual who can decide what he wants to do with his disposable income, we are responsible to the American taxpayer for the money we spend. Given the choice between putting in a new playground at a 1950s era housing area and painting old tanks sitting in a field, the quality of life improvement will get the vote every time.

Many of the display vehicles painted here at Fort Knox were done by extra duty personnel. Fort Knox is one of the few installations that has a stockade (Regional Correction Facility) and has the only Deserter Information Point (place where any deserter who is eventually picked up years later at a routine traffic stop is sent). Because of these two facilities, Ft. Knox does a lot of court-martials, so soldiers awaiting trial are assigned to the Personnel Control Facility (sort of like a pre-trial confinement barracks). The soldiers are then put to work painting stuff, raking leaves, etc. while they await court-martial or separation from the Army.

Good deal Rob glad to see you have all the extra duty folks busy.

I done my share of it also.

Polishing the Generals cannons which were brass.

Well I guess young and hot headed.
 _GOTOTOP