Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
40 Years Ago Today
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 11:49 PM UTC
Apollo 11 lifted off for the moon.
Cool real time site can be found here:

http://wechoosethemoon.org/

Shaun
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 07:52 AM UTC
64 years ago today... First atomic bomb test. Coincidence?

:)

Jim
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 10:27 AM UTC
Jim,

Can you say lift off!!!

Darryl
chris1
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 949 Posts
KitMaker Network: 129 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 08:02 PM UTC
I was 3 when we first landed on the moon,so I don't really remember it.
However I have my Standard 4 teacher 10yrs old (Mr Manning) for introducing me to Astronomy and from there my love,passion for the space programme.

It is sad that if/when we return to the moon or celebrate the 50th it is quite possible that none of the 12 moonwalkers or the CMPs will be alive and that would be a shame.

This anniversary should be marked with all the ceromony we can muster,as it was this generation who were able to finally to slip the bonds of earth and see our planet for it really is an oasis in the vastness of space.

I am pleased to say that I can say that I have met two of the moonwalkers Buzz Aldrin and Charlie Duke and those meetings are up there with my marriage and the birth of my two children as the greatest events of my life.

I hope that when we return we return to stay and not have to wait another50 odd years.
Here endith the sermon.

"Thats one step for man,on giant leap for mankind"Neil Armstrong CDR Apollo 11 July 20th 1969

Chris

pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 116 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 - 01:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

64 years ago today... First atomic bomb test. Coincidence?

:)

Jim

That, or the slowest shock wave ever measured.
Modelbouwerke
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 794 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 - 08:24 AM UTC
I'm sorry guy's but I'm a non-believer.
No one as ever been on the moon.
It's all filmed on (a secret) location.
Just like "Star Wars" and "Star Trek" or "Space 1999".

Erikssson.
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 - 08:36 AM UTC
A guy posed that very question to Buzz Aldrin. "You really didn't land on the moon - it was all a Hollywood set." Well, Buzz stated in no uncertain terms that he had indeed walked on the moon and this fellow was all wet.

I would think in 40 years someone would have spilled the beans IF it were not true. Some "behind the scene" photos of the astronauts standing around waiting to go on "stage." Sometimes the TRUTH is harder to believe than the fictions.

I remember waking up early in the morning and watching those fuzzy pictures from the moon. It's one of those experiences you never forget - like where were you when John F Kennedy was shot, or when Apollo 13 safely splashed down in the ocean or when the World Trade Center and Pentagon were attacked.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 - 08:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm sorry guy's but I'm a non-believer.
No one as ever been on the moon.
It's all filmed on (a secret) location.
Just like "Star Wars" and "Star Trek" or "Space 1999".

Erikssson.

Dang... I suppose you don't believe in Sinterklaas either?

Well years from now I hope someone/government you 'do' trust visits the moon and finds the remants of the many moon missions we left there. Then you will know the truth.

Is the Space Shuttle a hoax as well?

Jim
05Sultan
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 - 08:56 AM UTC
When we first landed on the moon,I was 14 and washing dishes in a tiny beachside restaraunt. Black and white TV w/rabbit ears and crummy picture. But it was the most exciting thing in the world.
Sadly, I also watched 'Challenger' launch for it's first and last time. Stunned for two days.
Rick
chris1
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 949 Posts
KitMaker Network: 129 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 - 09:43 AM UTC
Hi again guys
Follow the link http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/multimedia/lroimages/apollosites.html
(needs a cut and paste)
For the LRO images of the Apollo landing sites photographed from Lunar orbit.

Chris
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 01:51 AM UTC

Would like a word.

Shaun
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 02:23 AM UTC
Wasn't it Buzz who clocked that joker?
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 07:36 AM UTC
Buzz Aldrin, landed on the moon and landed a nasty right cross.
Youtube Goodness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOo6aHSY8hU

Shaun
mvfrog
Visit this Community
entire network: 369 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 10:11 AM UTC
There is a laser-reflective surface that is left on the moon from the missions; astronomers from all over the world measure time and distance and do calibrations by sending signals to that point on the moon's surface and timing the return...I've seen it done. And from all over the world, too...what a grand conspiracy that must be. But, if one suffers from the crippling disease, cranial rectal insertion,
one can neither smell the coffee nor see beyond the end of his nose. Make a donation to help these suffering souls. This was one of America's Greatest Accomplishments, and one we have shared with the world, and the technology now brings us the INTERNATIONAL Space Station. When we return to the moon, it will be a wonderful day for everyone, everywhere. It is my wish that all of us will be around, somewhere, to see it.....

Matt
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 03:14 PM UTC
God Speed:
* Theodore Freeman, one of the "Astronaut Group 3" recruits from 1963, died in a T-38 training accident on October 31, 1964.
* Elliott See and Charles Bassett were killed in a T-38 accident on February 28, 1966 when their aircraft crashed into McDonnell Building 101 on a foggy day. They were originally slated to be the crew of Gemini 9. Bassett was another Group 3 recruit, whereas See was an Astronaut Group 2 recruit from 1962.
* Virgil Grissom, Edward White and Roger Chaffee were in the Apollo 1 capsule for plugs-out test on January 27, 1967 when a short circuit ignited flammable materials in the pressurized pure-oxygen atmosphere. The astronauts died of carbon monoxide poisoning before ground crews could reach them. Grissom, one of the "Mercury Seven" astronauts, had flown twice before. White conducted the first US spacewalk on Gemini 4. Chaffee, a rookie, was a Group 3 recruit.
* Clifton Williams died in a T-38 training crash on October 5, 1967. Another Group 3 recruit, he was in the Apollo astronaut rotation, and would have been on the crew of Apollo 12. He was also memorialized by a fourth star on the official Apollo 12 mission badge. Alan Bean, who took Williams's seat on Apollo 12, is rumored to have left Williams's astronaut wings on the moon as a token of his sacrifice.[citation needed]
* Michael J. Adams died in an X-15 crash on November 15, 1967. He was not a NASA astronaut recruit, but made the memorial by virtue of having earned the Astronaut Badge in the X-15 program. He was also in the United States Air Force's Manned Orbiting Laboratory program.
* Robert H. Lawrence, Jr. died on December 8, 1967, when the F-104 he was testing crashed and his ejection seat parachute failed to open. He was in the Manned Orbiting Laboratory program at the time, and could have become among the first African-American astronauts had he survived to take NASA's offer for all under-35 MOL candidates to join their space program when MOL was scrapped in 1969.
* On January 28, 1986, the Space Shuttle Challenger broke apart 73 seconds after liftoff on mission STS-51-L. All seven crew members — Francis "Dick" Scobee, Michael J. Smith, Ronald McNair, Gregory Jarvis, Judith Resnik, Ellison Onizuka, and Christa McAuliffe — died. Scobee, McNair, Resnik and Onizuka had flown before. McAuliffe was participating via the Teacher in Space Project.
* M. L. "Sonny" Carter died on April 5, 1991, in the crash of Atlantic Southeast Airlines Flight 2311. Carter was a passenger traveling on NASA business. He had flown on STS-33 and was in training for STS-42 at the time.
* On February 1, 2003, the Space Shuttle Columbia disintegrated on re-entry at the end of mission STS-107 due to damage during ascent. The crew was Rick D. Husband, William C. McCool, David M. Brown, Kalpana Chawla, Michael P. Anderson, Laurel Clark and Ilan Ramon. Husband, Chawla and Anderson were veterans. Ilan Ramon was a pilot in the Israeli Air Force.

Cosmonaut Vladimir Komarov, Soviet Soyuz 1 spacecraft crash landed in April 1967

Georgi Dobrovolsky, Vladislav Volkov, and Viktor Patsayev, Soyuz 11 mission in 1971

And the countless brave souls who names will never be known.

mvfrog
Visit this Community
entire network: 369 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 04:24 PM UTC
Another name that should be remembered on that list: Yuri Gagarin, the Russian cosmonaut and the first man in space. He was killed March 7, 1968 in an aircraft accident, flying the MiG-15 as a test pilot. A monument to his achievement stands in Moscow. There is also a beautiful sculpture in the artillery museum in St. Petersburg, Russia.

"Circling the earth in the orbital spacecraft, I marveled at the beauty of our planet. People of the world! Let us safeguard and enhance this
beauty - not destroy it." - Yuri Gagarin

http://www.kosmonaut.se/gagarin/index.html

My hope is that someday, hopefully sooner than later, The United States and Russia will once again be allies in every sense and every meaning of the word.

Matt