_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Getting your wife involved
AlxUSMC
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
entire network: 216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 51 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 08:23 PM UTC
So my wife has expressed some interest in modeling, I guess to bond with me, has anyone here had the same experience, good or bad? I am a bit reserved about the idea because she would probably not enjoy having me over her shoulder, and I am bit scared about letting her use my work area and tools that I have seriously invested in the last couple of months. So any advice or even a good story would help, cheers
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,095 Posts
KitMaker Network: 279 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 01:51 AM UTC
My wife ocassionaly takes an interest to. She has been more into doing simple HO scale plastic building kits, but she has done very nicely with them and even added extra details (she would ask "how do I ..." and I would suggest and maybe show her, then let her do the work). She added a bunch of stones to a plastic chemney to make it a very nice stone one, weathered the building, and may even make a base for it.

anyway, I have found so far that its good to give her a work area that she can work at on her own...doesnt have to be anything fancy. Get her a small cutting mat, her own exacto knife, and maybe some of her own brushes. The rest she can borrow from you....and keep in mind she is probally just a begineer...i doubt she will be asking for your punch set, rivet maker, micro chisel, or other more "advanced" tools. Also I have found her to be VERY respectful of my tools and stuff, and if she borrows something it ususaly comes with a quick explaination on how to use it, and what NOT to do with it.

Bottom line is dont be afraid...and I would in fact encourage it! She will be interested in going to hobby shops with you, and if she finds something on the shelf she wants to build, chances are you can also walk out with something for yourself without the ususal "another model kit? How much was that one" some wifes give...She will also not mind hanging around contests, AND she may even give you some constructive critisim on your projects. Mine has given me some that has been very useful, even if she herself isnt at the same "level" as me....women have an eye for seeing if something "looks right".

Plus you will possibly get more modeling time in if she also wants to work on something to....she will feel like your spending time with her even if your working on your own thing. Its a win-win (unless she is in a real talkative mood...that can get anoying sometimes! )

dont be afraid of her borrowing stuff....just give her some instruction. Remember, unless you married a playboy bunny, she is most likely a fairly smart woman and an adult and can respect your tools. :-)

keep us apraised of how it goes!
Andy
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 02:33 AM UTC
Hi Alex , Andy has some great pointers there . Set up a place where she can work . Buy her -her own set of tools to get her started ( that will go along way ) Just as she has show an interest in your building do the same for her . Share what you have and know about the hobby . Maybe even buy her a few kits . I can tell you that my male friends are just fascinated on some of the projects I do which is a real boost to do even better on the next project . More and more Woman are getting into the hobby , few of my girlfriends are getting into building car models . We do have an eye for detail and painting .

Maybe even get her to share her work on line with the rest of us , let her know that other females are building and show her . Thats one of the main reason on why I love this site . The members make us feel a part of the group and bring us out of hiding . After all it's just not a guy thing anymore !!!
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 06:49 AM UTC
The others have given some very good pointers, just let me add a few of my own thoughts.

Just for starters, I've been married, very happily, for over 20 years and my wife has never, not even for a milisecond, expressed even the least interest in my hobbies. That your wife has expressed an interest in building should be looked upon as mana from the gods. Treat it with that level of respect.

Quoted Text

I am a bit reserved about the idea because she would probably not enjoy having me over her shoulder

In this, you are 100% correct. Give her space, tools and let her know you are willing to provide whatever help _she_ asks for and then just go about your own work. Do not, repeat, not, hang over her shoulder instructing her how to do ANYTHING. No one told you and you figured it out, allow her the same period of discovery.

Quoted Text

and I am bit scared about letting her use my work area and tools that I have seriously invested in the last couple of months.

If my wife decided to build anything (even the dreaded cars) I would gladly sacrifice my entire stock of tools. Don't get hung up on the material stuff. enjoy the concept that she wants to get involved and encourafge her in every way possible. Be free with both knowledge & materials without pushing and you'll both have a good time.

If you haven't been married very long, this entire discussion will arise again once you have kids and they decide they want to spend time with Daddy. Treat them the same way. As individuals and with respect.

Paul
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 04:55 PM UTC
When my wife and I first met, she, like alot of women I am sure, thought that the whole model thing was a little childish and basically men and their "toys".

However once she saw how much work went into them, and the artistry involved, she got very interested.

Her interest is mostly in figures, and she has done probably 3-4 over the last couple of year. She has a back ground in Canvas Oil Painting, so the whole shading and highlight aspect is pretty simple for her.

Here is some of her work:

Her First one! 1/16 Tamiya German Machinegunner

Tahk 1/35 Gerbejager

Mini-Art 1/16 French Curaisseur

Andrea 54mm Spock

Verlinden 16th Century North African Crossbowman

Now I don't do too many figures for myself as my work doesn't hold a candle!
AlxUSMC
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 07:53 PM UTC
Thanks for all the replies/suggestions. I showed my wife and she was really happy about it. When I first mentioned to her that I like to build model she used to say "Go play model, go make your toys, and even hint that I was a dork" (joking of course). Usually when I work on a model she asks me if she can help painting a part here or there. I never really followed through with it just because I am anal about it. Just recently she helped me with ideas on fixing a mistake on one of my models that I entered in DMoM this month (no hints) and helped me with ideas to weather it. I guess I didn't realize I was sitting on a pot of gold when she showed interest

viper29 your wife is really skilled, those figures turned out better than I could ever do at my level

Quoted Text

After all it's just not a guy thing anymore !!!

thegirI - i will honestly say that you are the first female modeler that I have encountered, and it excited my wife when she saw your post, thanks for all the advice!
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 - 12:49 AM UTC
there are ups and downs like all else. My wife does dios and viggnets also. she has an interest in history so she kinda fell in with my hobby easy. we have a work bench that's about 14 foot long so we both have storage and plenty of build space in the fantazy factory. The expense gets tough on occasion, but we work it out o.k. It's at the vender tables where she can get into a whole lot of trouble, must chaperone.
AlxUSMC
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 - 01:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's at the vender tables where she can get into a whole lot of trouble, must chaperone.

at least its not window shopping for purses, that can be a real challenge, I think vendors and women are a dangerous combination ! jk jk jk
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 - 11:05 AM UTC
About a year or so ago my wife and I both walked into a hobby shop in Montreal, just to have a look.

First time I have every been "out spent" by a woman in a hobby shop!
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 - 01:07 PM UTC
My wife absolutely could not care less!

She also has absolutely no problem with my hobby.

However, she also has absolutely no understanding that a huge kit does not necessarily mean that it was far more expensive than a much smaller kit.

I've seen absolutely no reason to educate as to this fact.
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 - 06:23 PM UTC
Thanks Alex ! There is a few of us online here . Ranging from aircraft to figures . Always a welcome to have new female members . ( if she wishes to choose ) Would be great to have her here.
Tomcat31
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,828 Posts
KitMaker Network: 212 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 01:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I will honestly say that you are the first female modeller that I have encountered, and it excited my wife when she saw your post, thanks for all the advice!

I Can only echo what others have already said. Modelling was how I met my Fiancée, Sam (Camogirl). I feel that modelling has strengthened our relationship and the up side is we can bounce ideas off each other. If you wife needs any further inspiration Sam has her own area on my website, Here and has even done review and articles for several magazine (which can been seen here).
There are certainly plenty of female modellers here on Kitmaker, some that spring to mind are Camogirl, thegirl, GunLayer, yoghurt, ladymodelbuilder, to name a few.
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 02:51 AM UTC
My wife is very supportive of my hobby / passion and has provided lots of constructive critism when needed lol.As a matter of fact I often have her choose my next build from the stash as I find she has a greater interest in the build
Darryl
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 08:18 AM UTC
My wife is very supportive of my hobby,and never questions me about my purchases of kits or supplies,she always evaluates my work and offers encouragement and criticism.She even comes to shows occasionally and my trips to various museums,but no, she has no interest in joining me in building,we share many things together,but she has her hobbies and free time as I do mine.

AlxUSMC
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 03:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I will honestly say that you are the first female modeller that I have encountered, and it excited my wife when she saw your post, thanks for all the advice!

I Can only echo what others have already said. Modelling was how I met my Fiancée, Sam (Camogirl). I feel that modelling has strengthened our relationship and the up side is we can bounce ideas off each other. If you wife needs any further inspiration Sam has her own area on my website, Here and has even done review and articles for several magazine (which can been seen here).
There are certainly plenty of female modellers here on Kitmaker, some that spring to mind are Camogirl, thegirl, GunLayer, yoghurt, ladymodelbuilder, to name a few.

I checked your wife's site out, MAN is she tallented, she is really skilled!!
AlxUSMC
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 03:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Alex ! There is a few of us online here . Ranging from aircraft to figures . Always a welcome to have new female members . ( if she wishes to choose ) Would be great to have her here.

That would be my dream, I think ill take it one step at a time, shes concerned for me because with have a baby boy due any day now (shes three days from her due date) an its going to take its toll on my hobby, I had to explain that it wont even be an issue of course, and I need a couple of months break from the hobby
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 03:50 PM UTC
My wife of 13 years couldn't care less about armor models or dioramas. She humors me. Went to shows with me for the first couple years and was bored crapless. (The guy at the door who hadn't bathed in weeks with the "modeling first aid station in case you broke anything on he way down here" did not help.)
She does her thing and I do mine. She did tell me I had to finish one kit before I bought another one so I get to show them to her when they are finished. (Only because I have more kits than I can ever build.)

Good luck,
Shaun

/My wife just called me nerdlinger

camogirl
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,045 Posts
KitMaker Network: 57 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 09:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I checked your wife's site out, MAN is she tallented, she is really skilled!!

Thank you , I've actually been modelling for 9 years now. Tomcat taught me when I was at air cadets (before we started seeing each other), I picked up building, painting and airbrushing etc very quickly and now have surpassed Tomcat in many areas (he has even admitted this)

As you saw from the site I build anything and everything, figures, aircraft, tanks, cars, motorbikes, sci-fi etc and Im just painting up so Games Workshop figures at the moment while taking a break from building kits

I would say be supportive. Im quite lucky as I don't mind if people don't say something looks good as Im happy with it so thats all that matters to me. What does wind me up is the attitude of some men at shows that I have been competing in and displaying at with the Bulldogs (one of the other kitmaker groups). They are a great group very supportive and make it known at shows that some of the models are built by myself and Yoghurt. A model I built got second place and they called out Sam >>>>>> for me to go up and collect my award I got 'for his Tornado' I got the front and got asked if I was collecting the award on behalf of someone. You should have seen the look of shock and horror when I said no I build it and did all the detailing

I was displaying at another show and someone had a question about a figure that I had done one of the other members said I'll get Sam to come and chat with you. I got round the front of the stand said I had built the model and what would they like to know. The response was 'OH' then they turned around and walked off, I was fuming after that.

So being supportive would be good also reminding her that it doesn't matter what other people think as long as she has enjoyed working on the model I think it is great both of us model as its great to be able to work on the bench and have a conversation or ask opinions while building. Sometimes I think we can get competitive with each other but only in fun. Also going to shows together is fun I think if I had got involved with someone that wasn't into modelling it wouldn't have lasted. It is great to walk round chat about models on display, buy new model kits, aftermarket sets etc and know neither of us will mind. I have noticed though Tomcat can get slightly possessive at shows with me

Tell her to have a go if she ever wants advice or a chat etc feel free to pm me
Tomcat31
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,828 Posts
KitMaker Network: 212 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2009 - 05:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tomcat can get slightly possessive at shows with me

I only get possessive at shows because the moment its mentioned that Sam build models its like she becomes a rarity and every man and his dog wants to chat her up
 _GOTOTOP