Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
NZ Quake!
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 02:27 AM UTC
I just heard on the news about an earthquake (7.8?) that struck N.Z.last night.....
No details,so I hope everyone from that area is doing okay.
Please let us know.........
C.
Tonyfr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 516 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 03:27 AM UTC
Pulled this off the AP. Luckily it does not appear that anyone was hurt.

Quoted Text

WELLINGTON, New Zealand – A 7.8-magnitude earthquake struck off New Zealand's western coast Wednesday generating a small tsunami. No injuries or major damage were reported.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii warned that a tsunami was generated, but it later said the waves were less than 8 inches (20 centimeters) in height and the warning was canceled after about an hour.

The Joint Australian Tsunami Warning Centre also issued a tsunami alert for eastern Australia that was still in effect late Wednesday.

"All available New Zealand and international data about the earthquake and sea levels showed that there is no tsunami threat to New Zealand," said John Hamilton, director of the Ministry of Civil Defense and Emergency Management.

The quake's epicenter was 100 miles (161 kilometers) west of Invercargill, off the west coast of New Zealand's South Island at a depth of 21 miles (33 kilometers), the U.S. Geological Survey said. It hit at 0922 GMT on Wednesday.

andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 2,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 471 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 12:48 PM UTC
Hey Guys,
We are all ok down this end of world The area that it struck is very sparsely populated which helps, there has been minor damage to buildings and shops have had stock fall of shelves etc. I live in Wellington which is a fair way from the epicentre and we felt it a bit here.