_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Hobby shops around MIldenhall RAF
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,523 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2009 - 10:28 AM UTC
I was wondering if there are any model shops around the MIldenhall/ Lakenheath area, or possibly any easily accessable by train....

Herky
MTDriver
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2009 - 06:35 PM UTC
Hi Jeremy,its been a few years since I travelled to Mildenhall,but there used to be a hobby shop on the main street,sorry don't know if its still there or not.
You could catch a train to London and visit Hannants,its next to Colindale tube station and the RAF museum at Hendon,both well worth a visit.I don't live in that area so wouldn.t know the time tables etc.
Try a request on the Brit community site as they may be able to give you more info.
..........Dave.
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 116 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2009 - 09:24 PM UTC
Mildenhall and Lakenheath aren't all that close together so you may need to consider two areas rather than one. From Lakenheath you won't be far from Ipswich (for SBX models) and Lowestoft (for the big branch of Hannants) and a train may be possible. Other model shops in that area I'm not too familiar with - there's one in Norwich but it's mainly radio-control and die-cast.

Trains from Mildenhall are a bit of a bugger because it's several miles from the line at Ely, but once you get there you're on the main line back to London. The train gets in at King's Cross so Colindale is a direct (but rather long) tube journey on the Northern Line. Or you could take the same line to Tottenham Court Road, or walk for about 20 minutes, to reach Muddlezone on High Holborn.
muddyfields
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 03:39 AM UTC
Hello Jeremy
Beside's the 1's the Guy's have already listed there is a small local shop at Barton near Cambridge.
Simon's Models & Crafts Ltd
Top Field Farm,
16 Cambridge Road ,
Barton,
Cambridge,
CB23 7AR
01223 262426
I think there only open at Friday's & Weekend's.
There are also a toy shop at both Ely & Newmarket these have a very small model selection & paints.
If your interested in meeting other modellers then there is a model club at Bury St Edmunds that meets 1's a month & there is the Cambridge branch of MAFVA ( which I belong to ).
I know a couple of people that go to both clubs.
Hope this helps.
Shaun
 _GOTOTOP