_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Springbok Club
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
G6 markings
theoke
Visit this Community
Cape Province, South Africa
entire network: 24 Posts
KitMaker Network: 21 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2009 - 02:31 AM UTC
Hello ,

who can help me with the following.
need for my G6 decals,now I want to make it by myself,
what would I need,see only on picture's a licence plate on the front,is this correct.
if yes can some one tell me what has to be on the licence plate,can't find any decend picture that shows it clearly

regards Theo
Bleskop
Visit this Community
South Africa
entire network: 6 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 06:57 PM UTC
Hello Theo,

SADF number plates up to circa 1990 started with a R followed by a number, ususlly six digits ie. R 123-456. These numbers were white on a black background.

After 1990 the number plate changed to a yellow plate with black letters, three alphabetical letters followed by three digits and enede with a M ie. BRD 123 M.

Hope this helps. No national insignia or other markings on the vehicles were applied.

Regards
theoke
Visit this Community
Cape Province, South Africa
entire network: 24 Posts
KitMaker Network: 21 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 - 07:22 AM UTC
yes this helps,thank you
PESTANA
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2012 - 08:03 AM UTC
Hi Guys

Except for the Registration Number of each G6, there are no other insignia or marking on the guns except however a number which will be applied in combat, more than likely with white shoeshine, and this would be the gun's call sign. This call sign would be hand drawn on the turret door or on the back part of the hull. Size and thickness of the letters will differ vastly as the crew's would do this them selves. In our unit the guns have been given a battle honor which we have inscribed on a steel plaque and is affixed to the right side of the gun recoil block. This is only displayed during ceremonial parades on the most senior gun. All G6 guns have been awarded the Pro Patria Medal, to the best of my knowledge the only piece of SADF equipment to have received a medal.

If you need any more information on this ordnance please feel free to ask.

_GOTOTOP