_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Models-To use wood or not to use wood
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 08:41 AM UTC
I just bought a book from Barnes and Nobles bookstore of Leonardo's inventions. What a great book. If you wanted to build any of his inventions you could with this book. It has every invention he made such his Tank, the multiple rotating cannons.....etc. If you have ever seen the show "doing Da Vinci" you knon what I am talking about then.
I would like to know since the plans in the book are exploded and he built them in wood, should I build these in wood as well or should I build them in Evergreen plastic? I would like to build these in scale model form.
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 1,017 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 10:04 AM UTC
Well there are different shapes and sizes in both materials. I think Evergreen would be easier to work with but you would have to add the wood grain detail. A combination of both would make the scale models more realistic. Be sure to post some progress when you decide to start building.
MCR
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 464 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 11:25 AM UTC
For me, it depends entirely on what scale you plan on building in. Larger scales, say 1/24 and bigger, wood may work and, more importantly, look better.
For anything small I'd go with plastic. At those smaller sizes the grain of even the tightest woods look out of scale and then there's the "fuzz" effect that needs to be dealt with.
Plastic can be nicely painted to look like wood (ask the guys who build WW I aircraft) and everything can be kept in scale and "more real" looking.

FWIW

Mark
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2009 - 03:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well there are different shapes and sizes in both materials. I think Evergreen would be easier to work with but you would have to add the wood grain detail. A combination of both would make the scale models more realistic. Be sure to post some progress when you decide to start building.

Hey PFC,
I would love to but I just don't know how to post photos on this website,other wise I would be post ALOT of photos. Do you know how to post photos to this site? I need to know in terms that a 2nd grader could understand. Reason: I am just not computer savy.
Thanks
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 1,017 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2009 - 06:30 AM UTC
Here is a link with step by step instruction on how to post pics. When you upload to your photo album you may have to resize them if there to big they wont load if i remember correctly.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewforum&forum_id=24&page=1 Maybe this will help you out.
 _GOTOTOP