_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Rip Van Winkle help
MTHopper
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 56 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2009 - 05:08 AM UTC
Ît has been 20 years since I last had enough time to model miniatures.As a result I wonder if any one can answer some of my questionsÉ
When I "left" modelling Shep Paine was the hot new modeller Dioramist and his work appeared in Monogram models kit sheets. Historex was THE kit maker whose detail on their Napoleonic 54 mm figures was fantstic. Imrie Risely was still around as were Rose minatures H&R,Almark etc.. The magazines were "Campaigns" and Military Modelling. I had just started to finally focus on only two or three areas of modelling when life interrupted my modelling. I FINALLY focused on North America and the American War of Independence and The Knights Templar,Hospitaller et al.
My questions;
what happened to Campaigns Magazine and I gather Military Modelling Magazine is still very active?
what happened to Imrie Risely, they were the only source of broad range American War of Indepence 54 mm figures? who is their equivalent nowadays for such figurs?
Cheers
MTHopper
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2009 - 05:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ît has been 20 years since I last had enough time to model miniatures.As a result I wonder if any one can answer some of my questions

Welcome back!

Quoted Text

When I "left" modelling Shep Paine was the hot new modeller Dioramist and his work appeared in Monogram models kit sheets.

Shep is still aroiund and very well respected, but not as active as before.

Quoted Text

Historex was THE kit maker whose detail on their Napoleonic 54 mm figures was fantstic.

Historex is still around, but even harder to find this side of the pond.

Quoted Text

Imrie Risely was still around as were Rose minatures H&R,Almark etc..

These, too, are still marginally available, go to Military Miniatures Warehouse

Quoted Text

The magazines were "Campaigns" and Military Modelling. I had just started to finally focus on only two or three areas of modelling when life interrupted my modelling.

I belive they both have bitten the dust. The only figure mag published on htis soide of the pond is just about defunct. Some others: Figurines, Figure International, Military Miniatures in Review are a few mags dealing with the hobby. Fine Scale is a very generallist mag these days.

[quote]I FINALLY focused on North America and the American War of Independence and The Knights Templar,Hospitaller et al.[quote]
You'll find the NOrth American stuff at the site above and for a good listing of available figures go to either The Red Lancer or Colorado Miniatures.
Ina all cases, be prepared for sticker shock.
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2009 - 10:29 AM UTC
Welcome to the site William and back to the hobby. The only question I can help with is about Military Modeling. The magazine is still published and their website can be found HERE
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2009 - 10:37 AM UTC
took your time getting back I'd say but seriously, welcome back. As far as knights go, pegaso has some real fine figures. If I remenber right they are metal. Hope this helps some.
 _GOTOTOP