_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Health and Safety
Have a question about what is safe or an experience that might warn others?
The Psychology of Modeling 102
JackFlash
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 11,669 Posts
KitMaker Network: 290 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 06:23 AM UTC
Greetings all after the high success of "The Laws of Modeling 101" I have been encouraged to continue. While I do not hold a Ph.D. in Psychology it may be important for us to have a go at not taking ourselves too seriously no matter to what level AMS (Advanced Modelers Syndrome) may exsist in our lives. This is for fun.

This topic is meant to answer questions concerning the hows & whys scale modeling is such an important reflection of modern civilization with extreme reference to that most difficult of accomplishments of that wonderful topic (but not limited to, WWI aviation subjects

At the beginning of the 21st century we all face two important questions: (1) How to fully enjoy and benefit from the exciting possibilities resulting from technology and change. (2) How to deal with certain serious difficulties and problems which result from these changes. As a result Modeling Psychology, the study of human personality, thought process and behavior and its creative oulets hold an increasing bebefit to all.

The significant historical figure, Napolean I is paraphrased as saying; '...there are only two subjects that motivate anything with a brain, interest and fear.'

Essentially it is the creative eb and flow that connects us to the past, present and future. While most contemporary subjects are streamline with internal details the average WWI aircraft is usually very busy in its outward appearance and therefore more stimulating to the person of high intelligence.
The corollary is that a scale depiction of an aircraft of 1914-18 vintage is more appealing to someone with a high degree of creativity than the average IPMS Nationals judge. Who (not surprisingly) very seldom or almost never builds a model.

1. Motivation and Creativity puts us into the first phase of Model building. - 'Dicta Ira' '...have fun!' WWI Modeling Page 1997.
2. The desire to please ourselves is the initial and primary goal.
a. Characterized by parts being pulled from the trees and the resulting jagged sprue ends remaining and apparant even at the completion of building.
b. Also painting a completed model is considered to be a deterant to building. So often the kit is displayed bare factory pigmented plastic.
c. Another characteristic is the slightly off register decals that due to the unpainted scheme are guess-timated for their approximate positioning.

3. The desire to interest and please others is the next step.
a. This step if unchecked can lead one to the onset of the malady know in the Modeling community as Advanced Modeling Syndrome (AMS.)
b. If carefully monitored this can be an exercise in building one's character and dexterity.
c. It is at this stage that the modeler often starts attending local Modeling clubs or contests.
d. Painting becomes apart of the build in general. Since the exposure is a direct attribute ofthe modeling club it is seen as a natural progression.
e. Sanding smooth said sprue attachments and seam lines becomes more a practice in 'cleaning up the overall appearance of the build.'
f. Next comes the concern of overall scale effect in the build. (One can get dangerously close to the onset of serious AMS here.)
g. Often this is where WWI modelers begin their fascination with simulating rigging and (heaven forbid) turnbuckles on aircraft kits.
4. The desire to compete and have the artifact that you have crafted viewed and judged is the next step.
a. Here, repeated bad experiences can affect the builder to the point that they can often hurl the completed build against the furthest basement wall with their best knuckle pitch.
b. Immediate success on the local level is often the garantee that you'll hold an office in the coming club elections.
c. Success on the Continental or National level will often include a local level office and a judges responsibility in future contests.
d. Here the average modeler will forego building and ;
1. Begin a business making Brass etch, resin, white metal or vacuform kits and detail pieces.
2. Begin publishing articles on 'How To' subjects.
3. Start collecting.
4. Become an IPMS Nationals Judge. Losing not only their interest in building but often turning off their objectivity node at the base of their brain as well. This still a point of debate in many Modeling Circles.

Pop Quiz: What is the difference between personal and social needs?
mvfrog
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 369 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2009 - 05:27 PM UTC
Hijack:

I just read this post, and I wanted you to know how much I enjoyed it, and how well thought out and written it is. I particularly liked the list of steps in the progression near the end of the article. Particularly I am interested in the 'fun' aspect of modeling, and how this relates to encouraging the modeler to investigate more, and push and develop new skills as they relate to personal goals. There is also some consideration to sharing experience and skill resources with other modelers. I think that's a part of the hobby, but I'm not sure where this fits in in your post. Maybe its a little off topic, but I think about it. Anyway, very fine post...I enjoy it, and it provokes a lot of thought, particularly since I am building my first model airplane in 25 years. I've learned a lot here.

Thanks,
Matt
bpunchy
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 366 Posts
KitMaker Network: 93 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2009 - 01:47 AM UTC
what the......? aha ha ! dunno . i just enjoy building and painting . researching and learning . comeraderie of other modellers . keeps me off the drink . relatively low cost hobby ( cheaper than full size collecting ) . beats watching tv . but you know wotever floats your boat . aint nobody getting out of here alive .
JackFlash
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 11,669 Posts
KitMaker Network: 290 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 11:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

1. Begin a business making Brass etch, resin, white metal or vacuform kits and detail pieces.
2. Begin publishing articles on 'How To' subjects.
3. Start collecting. . .

As a bit of confirmation here is a smaller collection of on Aeroscale / Kitmaker member.

The disconcerting issue here is the lack of biplane / triplane kits there.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2009 - 03:05 AM UTC
I bet he has 2 or 3 in there somewhere...probably on top/front of the fridge.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2009 - 03:35 AM UTC
Or perhaps there is a small stash of biplanes and triplanes covering the trapdoor that leads to this treasure trove, hiding the entrance from the minister for war and finance, keeping said minister blissfully oblivious to the absolute truth of the matter. . . . One can NEVER have too many kits. What an awesome stash.

Great thread, the pleasure I derive is from learning about the subject matter, developing the skills to replicate (albeit slowly), chatting with others at the local club, checking out the AWESOME skills shown in the forums and galleries, but I think most importantly winding down after a stressfull day with a glass of red, cutting and glueing, sanding and painting. One day I might even get to finish one.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2009 - 03:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Or perhaps there is a small stash of biplanes and triplanes covering the trapdoor that leads to this treasure trove, hiding the entrance from the minister for war and finance, keeping said minister blissfully oblivious to the absolute truth of the matter. . . . One can NEVER have too many kits. What an awesome stash.

Never too many indeed because at this point the warden doesn't easily see what's new from all the old...and she quit looking long ago...oh, and the "minister" ain't a problem since she has her own stash of porcelain coke houses...uhm,er, so I've been told. I saw a few twin booms in there too.....
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2009 - 04:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

3. Start collecting.

Pop Quiz: What is the difference between personal and social needs?

Building and collecting can be done side by side...thru necessity one leads to another. Much like one can buy a model and collect twice the worth of the origonal kit in pe, resin goodies and aftermarket decals to achieve the desired result they're looking for...or just build OOB or anything inbetween........to have fun and enjoyment no matter what the extent is, is the nature of the game. Be true to your beliefs but never be afraid to try something new!
Per the quiz....I'd say "not much"...to be here on any of the forums and see other's talents, to learn from those, to show your own given talents{everybody is good at something!} and/or tricks lends to the intertwining of both...much like it would for someone who doesn't use the web, but shows/shares their talents at shows or hobby shops.
The only difference would be the person who models alone and doesn't show anything to anyone...their aspect would be simply personal enjoyment only....fine, but kind of a loss for the rest of us.
My thoughts, for what it's worth in your neck of the woods......
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 - 03:47 PM UTC
I'm still waiting to see a large collection{better than 300}.
Come on...don't be shy...you know who you are!

Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2009 - 01:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm still waiting to see a large collection{better than 300}.
Come on...don't be shy...you know who you are!

These photos are from a few years ago. I've added more kits than I've built, but no updated photos; since I moved, the vast majority of them are packed away in moving boxes in a large basement storage room. There are well over 300 kits here.

old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2009 - 03:14 AM UTC
That's what I'm talkin bout!...I knew there was more out there!
Nice to see that many old lindberg and aurora kits again...reminds me of days and LHS's gone by.
...what, no double TIE set?

Anybody else?! Come on, don't be shy...show us how easily you could start your own model shop....if you had to of course, or how you'd have to rent a 19' U-haul or bigger, just for moving the kits!
 _GOTOTOP