_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Hobby shops in Monterey, CA?
Tonyfr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 516 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 04:05 AM UTC
I will be headed out to Monterey, CA in a few weeks. Are there any good hobby shops in the area?

Tony
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 03:00 PM UTC
well, I live on the north end of the Monterey Bay, Monterey being on the south end and I've not heard of any hobby shops in Monterey. I'm sure that there are some small shops that sell models but as far as large, well stocked shops you'd have to venture north to San Jose for D&J Hobbies and Yannis in Los Altos.

Maybe somebody will prove me wrong,but I think this is about it

C.
mvfrog
Visit this Community
entire network: 369 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 04:30 PM UTC
Yannis Hobbies in Mountain View is the best. The most knowledgeable, and well-stocked with the best kits. A great selection of Armor, Aircraft and ships. It is had to beat his enthusiasm for the Hobby. I was in there this afternoon, and a woman walked in with two young boys. Yanni gave them his complete attention and showed them several models, explaining each to them. She wanted to get each of them a kit, as they wanted to start building. They left with big grins and a model that they could build. Its worth the trip if you want to get something...about 60-75 minutes from Monterey. He knows his stuff when it comes to model kits. Good buy, too.

Matt Cusimano
Also up here: NASA visitor center with several aircraft out front; Hiller Aircraft Museum (lots of stringbags), ongoing restorations, helos. If you come up, make a day of it...I'll wave as you go by.
Tonyfr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 06:29 AM UTC
Charles and Matt,

Thanks for the answers. I think I will check out Yannis. It is a couple hours from where we are staying down by Big Sur. My daughter is checking to see about kits on Presidio of Monterey base. She said they have a really good comic and games store on base so she will see about models.

Thanks again,
Tony
CReading
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 07:48 AM UTC
Tony,
If you are going to venture up into the greater bay area for site seeing etc. then Yannis is a must.
When I get home from work I'll post the address and information I have from one of his business cards.
Cheers,
C.
mvfrog
Visit this Community
entire network: 369 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 08:21 AM UTC
Go to:
www.yannis-hobbies.com
Tonyfr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 09:02 AM UTC
Thanks for the link. I will probably stop there on the day I go to a Giants or As game.

Tony
 _GOTOTOP