_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Cutting Sheet Styrene Help
scgatgbi
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 285 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 02:10 AM UTC
Greetings to all, need a little help. I'm trying to scratchbuild a van body for a 1/32 Opel Blitz (to make it a communications truck) & I'm trying to cut styrene sheet for the body. I'm not having much success with it. I tryed using a hobbyknife, but it takes to long. I also tried using a papercutter with the circular blade. The issue I had with that was that since the plastic is thicker than paper it keeps either warping the styrene or "pulls" the sheet & creates an uneven cut. I'm using 0.40 sheets. Does anyone out there know of a good tool for cutting long straight pieces? I don't have a dedicated work space so bigger saws & what not are not an option. Thanks for any suggestions.
redcobra04
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 235 Posts
KitMaker Network: 51 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 05:39 AM UTC
I use a steel ruler with two sided tape to hold it in place. i use a razor saw to make my cuts. Just pull the saw along the ruler. may take a few cuts. Then a few touches with some fine sandpaper will clean it up. Just dont try to cut it in one pass. hth.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 04:46 PM UTC
Sean for cuts like that instead of trying to cut the parts out to size, score the sheet plastic slightly larger than your demensions. Make a couple of scribing passes with your knife using a straight edge, then snap the plastic, much like glass cutters do. You can then use sanding sticks and or paper to get to the final size. The plastic shouldn't warp with this method either. Hope that helps. "Q"
 _GOTOTOP