_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Canada
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Where to shop...?
garthj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 282 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 05:35 AM UTC
Hello to all Toronto modellers.

I was wondering where I could shop for general modelling supplies in the GTA, e.g milliput, styrene sheet, accessories (and kits of course). I live in the Yonge and Eglinton area. I moved to Toronto from South Africa 18 months ago and only recently got the modelling stuff out.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Regards
Garth
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 - 07:09 PM UTC
Garth,

There are a number of Toronto area stores, my favourite being Hornet hobbies on O'Connor just off of Victoria Park. Great store, great selection! A true modelers store. Wings and Wheels is also a really good store. Its at 1880 The Danforth. In the west end on Dundas,there is Northstar hobbies. I'm sure there are others I missed, but these should be a good start.
Darryl
garthj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 01:00 PM UTC
Dear Darryl
Many thanks for those kind tips.
I found Hornet on the web and judging by your comments may be a good start.
Thanks again!
Garth
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2009 - 01:39 AM UTC
I think Hornet Hobbies should satisfy your modeling needs very well. Oh and welcome to Canada
Darryl
muchachos
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 537 Posts
KitMaker Network: 74 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 - 06:43 AM UTC
Daryl's right - they're both great, although I prefer Wheels and wings, because it is far better organized. Stop in at both if possible, because they're fairly close to each other - that is, by the standards of hobby shops!

SCOTT
garthj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2009 - 07:34 AM UTC
Thank you Scott and Darryl.

I had a similar question about ground work / base material. I used a proprietary interior crackfiller back in SA for ground work. Can either of you suggest a similar Canadian product that you use for preparing diorama groundwork. ( I think these products are called "spackle" in the USA and Canada). Is Cell-U-clay a decent alternative? Is it available in Canada?
Thanks again for all your help.
Regards
G
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2009 - 11:15 AM UTC
Garth
Here its often called pollyfilla or a similiar type of name. You can buy it at Canadian Tire or any store like it. I'm sure you can buy celluclay at craft stores, maybe Michaels?
Darryl
garthj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 01:07 PM UTC
Hi Darryl
Thank you very much. I popped in to Home Hardware on Avenue Road and found a box of Polyfila. Perfect stuff. I am using it for a wall section, made with foam and the cork method for brick work. The Polyfila worked very well for the filling in and the wall looks really great. I am waiting for some figures on order and will be getting down to the rest of the diorama soon.

Thanks again for the tips.
Regards
G
Shinano
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 36 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 04:56 AM UTC
Hello, in addition to Wheels and wings and Hornet there is John's on Danforth. They are east of wheels and wings on Danfoth, near main. They have a decent selection but if you do dioramas they have a great selection of train stuff that can really help with dio's.
Sandy
tominizer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 118 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 03:23 PM UTC

Dropped into wings and wheels for the first time last week ............. stumbled upon them. Now I'm going to have to wander a little further east as well!!! Thanks !!
garthj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 11:09 AM UTC
Hi Sandy and Tom
Thanks for the pointers down to Wheels and wings. I havent ventured down there yet, but will do so over the weekend. I've got some ebay and Hobbylinc stuff on the way so that will keep me busy for a while.
Thanks a lot and keep well.
Regards
G
tominizer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 118 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 08:48 AM UTC
Sorry, I had that backwards ........... went to John's first and then back-tracked to Wings and Wheels as I had them mixed up. Wings and Wheels is probably a touch better for kits and such................. John's is good for scratch-building supplies from their train section........... mind each has their own up side for scratch-building.

I have to comment though........... after being out of the hobby for 20+ years........ the price of kits is nutz now. 1/35 Tamiya Panzer II A/B/C for $40 plus tax.................... drained the blood from my face. Hard to support that sort of thing when on-line it can be had for a lot less. However, I still frequent these shops to support them when buying my building supplies. Wings and wheels has so many kits too......... that I wouldn't mind digging into but........... jeeese. Then again, I have a collection of unbuilt stuff at home that will outlast my lifetime !!
 _GOTOTOP