_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Help a newbie
chevinator
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 09:38 PM UTC
I am kind of new to doing models granted I've done a few but never really had them look super but I would like to get some sugestions.
I am wanting to know what some of you would prefer for an airbrush, type of paint to use, and what do you think about 1/48 scale models. I also want to know if anyone has ever heard of a C-17 model thanks.....
cpmstu
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 30 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 05:32 AM UTC
I know a guy who does some extraordinary work with /48 scale kits and air brushes, calls himself roger ramjet and posts on this forum, may be able to help further?

http://gwargamesp.18.forumer.com/index.php?s=d2e4df4a123b650f7a043852076f0d98&act=idx

stuart
grayghost666
entire network: 2,458 Posts
KitMaker Network: 163 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 07:00 AM UTC
Hello Randy,
I have been getting into 1/48 scale for the past 6 months. I have found that the models are basic in design, But with metal tracks, metal barrels and other AM items they look great.
I have also noticed that the large model makers are offering more items in 1/48 scale.
Try this web store for more info and see what is being offered: track48.com. good site.
Per Airbrushes, i do not use one so i cannot help you there.
Cheers,
Bruce
mvfrog
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 369 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 07:49 AM UTC
There are two types of airbrushes (basically): Single action and double action. Single action begins to spray paint when you push the trigger down; double action release both air and paint as you push and then pull the trigger button back. It's kind of a matter of preference. I learned on a double action Thayer and Chandler airbrush in a college art class a long time ago. I have airbrushes by T&C, Iwata, Badger, Paasche, and one that I am not sure who made it. They all work well, and some do a certain set of things very well. If you use an airbrush, you are going to need a compressor. Right now, at ModelExpo.com, they are selling an airbrush and compressor combo for $119.95. I bought one for the daughter of a friend as a long promised gift, and am impressed with the quality of both the airbrush and the compressor. The airbrush is a double action, and looks like my old Thayer and Chandler. It's a good value, and you should check it out. I would start out with a double action brush, get used to it, practice until you are comfortable, then turn yourself loose on the modeling world. You will make mistakes, but then everyone does on an ongoing basis. Have patience, grasshopper is good advice, and don't be afraid of it. It doesn't take long to learn how to use it; then you spend the rest of your modeling life refining and doing things you didn't think you could do.

Any more questions, ask; there are a lot of very accomplished people here who use airbrushes like pros.

Matt
 _GOTOTOP