TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Starship Troopers. what would you like to...
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 335 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 07:01 AM UTC
Starship Troopers I think is a pretty desent movie. Good special effects and everytthing. But what changes would you like to see in the movie? Heres what I think

Guns- were pretty well designed, but they never reloaded, and didnt carry enough extram ammo. They had the riflemen, but where are the support guys??? they had a sniper, and demolitions.

Vehicles- the space crafts, and transport planes were cool. Don't you think they should of had some sort of ground vehicles? Like the Warthog from Halo. OR HOW ABOUT SOME SUPED UP GUNTRUCKS??!? NOW THAT WOULD BE COOL! Or some mechs. In the
3-D cartoon show they had some in there pretty sweet!

Uniform-kinda plain, some sort of desert/woodland camo. would look sweet. And the body armor they wore didnt stop anything. More tactical gear maybee?

what do you think?
Mike
GhengisWong
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 74 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 07:09 AM UTC
I thought that their strategies and tactics could use a little work.

Let's all just run together over the hill, get our A$$e$ kicked and then run away. This is the future military of our planet???

They had a lot of cool stuff, but seemed kind of clueless as to what to do with it.

I think in the book, they had really super suits of armor, but that it was too expensive to do in the movie.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 07:22 AM UTC
I'd have liked to seen them do the Drop Suits too. In the novel, they were pretty interesting, and I can still imagine the characters "bouncing" through the city and lobbing mini-nukes...

It painted a great scene - and I think they could have done it and cut out perhaps that small escape pod sequence.

Gunnie
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 12:05 PM UTC
The movie was based more on "Forever War" than Heinlen's fascist trash. Starship Troopers is probably the most tongue-in-cheek movie in the history of the cinema and compares beautifully with Bill The Galactic Hero etc. Joe Haldeman, the author of The Forever War served in Vietnam and not a few of his experiences found their way into his Opus Magno..... Sorry guys, Heinlen was a fraud....Jim
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 06:35 PM UTC
For pure escapist entertainment Starship Troopers has to be one of my favourites (along with the Star Trek movies ) I agree with GengisWong their tactics were kind of gungho but it seems in keeping with the whole theme of the movie in that life seems to have little value. Note the promise of live coverage the execution of a convicted murderer at peak time.
"Want to know more?"
Martin
mrs_selrach
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 225 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 06:43 PM UTC
In the book the tactics made more sense because of the powered assault armor. The troops used mini nukes on occasion as was noted in a previous post, and used jump packs to move about. If I remember correctly, they were dropped in a very wide spread so that they wouldn't all be wiped out with one shot by the bugs.

btw .. Heinlein was a Libertarian. I think his book, Starship Troopers, was an attempt at visualizing a future much more authoritarian world. Many of his other books are much more Libertarian.

Also, if I remember correctly, Heinlein was one of the founders of the Libertarian party.

The bugs were well done in the movie, tho.

Also, in the book there were no "mixed" sex crews in the mobile infantry nor on the starships. The M.I. was all male and the Navy was all female. If I remember correctly this is because females had higher intelligence and dexterity and were better suited to piloting starships, whereas the men were just natural grunts.

LOL

Phantom
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 195 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 09:38 AM UTC
Aside from accurately portraying the story as told in the books, power armor and all...the best thing that could be added to the movie is more shower scenes - preferably without the guys.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 06:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Aside from accurately portraying the story as told in the books, power armor and all...the best thing that could be added to the movie is more shower scenes - preferably without the guys.

Best said comment in this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Not that other guys's are not good, but this is the best said!

I ditto that.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2003 - 12:14 AM UTC
IMHO, the book did not glorify facism and the use of the tactics played out quite well in the overall scheme.

There are numerous quotes denigrating the "bugs" for their slavish following of orders and willingness to die, yet the humans use the same tactics and propoganda. While Heinlein depicted a fascist human society, he was in no way glorifying it.

As a fun, "Big Bug" movie ST is pretty cool.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 08:17 PM UTC
I guess the reason I liked it so much is that it focused on the infantry. Most future "space movies" concentrate on flyings machines This one was about ground pounders. Yea short on plot and a lot of goofball crap, but man when they were fighting the bugs you are totally focused on the film. Thank good for dvd's get right to the good stuff and eliminate the crapola
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 12:49 AM UTC
I'd have loved to see the movie made OF the book not 'based on' the book...

As a big fan of the SF3D suits, I've always imagined the Starship troopers suits as looking a lot like the ovoid SAFS suits. Since the whole point of the MI was individuals in powered armor, it loses something in translation for me.

Also the film had too much love/sex -not that I'm against such things in general, mind you.. But the orig. book did fine w/o them-
Do I remember reading that Tom Clancy was pressured to add some romance/sexd to his books after Red October, so that they'd be there for the movies?

I did like the bugs and the bug annimation, but there was too much "hoo-rah!" and gore for the sake of gore for my tastes -again, I'm not against such things, but the orig book was soooo much better w/o relying completely on it-

Haldermans book #1 would make a pretty good movie as well, but it's too story/character driven to survive the first meeting when the "who blows up what'" and "who sleeps with who" gets ironed out.. at least the free love parts of training in FW would fit the hollyweird mold. The rest of the loose series would be harder to do.
Besides, the societal changes due to time distortion would be tough to sell to anyone but VT and Canada...-grin-

Mike
Who will go back to writing his thesis now...