TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Victory@ sea Doc and World@War Doc
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 05:19 AM UTC
I am in the prosess of maybe buying the complete World at War series and Victory at Sea series. Can you guy give me the pros and cons for each series?

What is the World at War all about?

Is World at War a complete series even if it is on 4-5 DVDs?

Is Victory at Sea the same as World at War but in Navy form?

Also is it the complete series in 4-5 DVDs as well?

The reason I am asking is I saw both series at Walmart (World at War $30.00 and Victory at Sea $5.00)
Thanks
grayghost666
entire network: 2,458 Posts
KitMaker Network: 163 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 11:18 AM UTC
Hello Jody,
Buy them both. I have them and the D-Day set. If you want to get your builds and Dio looking right, I would suggest all 3 of them.
The Victory at Sea has some great photo's for any Ship Dio. World at War is also great for building Dio of either open or street fighting.
Cheers,
Bruce
LuckyBlunder
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 273 Posts
KitMaker Network: 107 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 09:14 PM UTC
Hi Jody -

Bruce is right. You can't go wrong with either one. Both are filled almost totally with actual footage. Victory at Sea was the first mini-series documentary and I and my Dad watched it (on B&W) every week back in the early fifties. The music by Richard Rogers (Rogers & Hammerstein) is incredible.

Steve
mvfrog
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 369 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 - 05:21 AM UTC
I had a teacher in College who taught history (an unforgettable man) who said, of Victory at Sea, that it is the closest that we have come to writing an American Symphony. I am not educated in music, but it lacks a few of the elements which define "symphony." I watched this series when I was young, and it was first shown on TV with my dad. Every week it started with the haunting music and the view of the restless sea, and went from there with some of the greatest scenes of the war in the Pacific. This is truly, in my estimation, one of the greatest series on the war that has been produced. It is timeless. Also, there are not a lot of documentaries or works produced that cover the Pacific Theatre and the Island-hopping campaign of the Marines. This is simply the best. Sounds like you have the 2 finest in your collection.

Congratulations,
Matt