_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Hobby shops in Nairobi, Kenya
Tonyfr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 516 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 04:38 AM UTC
My god son is moving to Nairobi, Kenya. On hobby we have in common is model kit building. Does any one know where the good hobby shops are in Nairobi?

Tony
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 10:30 AM UTC
Tony,

It's highly unlikely. Luxuries like scale modelling aren't a priority, or anything close to a priority, in countries like Kenya.

If he intends to pursue scale modelling while in Kenya he'd be best off ordering stuff via the net.

Rudi
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
entire network: 456 Posts
KitMaker Network: 87 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 08:55 PM UTC
Hi Tony,

I don't think they'll have many things. I lived one year in India (2006) and only found an small shop with some kits (academy and Revell). I didn't find any glue (just the glue included with academy's kits) and very little paints.

I think it will be better to buy online and most likely it will be better to check how are customs and mailing over there. Probably it will be better to take some kits and the tools with his stuff. I am assuming he is going as an expat and his company will send his stuff there.

I also worked in China for one year (2007) and although most kits and accesories are manufactured there are difficult to find there. I only found dragon lion roar (only the motorcycles (the AM impossible)), hobby boss and trumpeter (also academy, tamiya and gunze sangyo besides being korean and japanese). No bronco, griffon models, etc.

Have a nice day,
Angel
Tonyfr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 - 03:03 AM UTC
Rudi and Angel,

Thanks for the replies. I guess for a few years I will know what to get him for presents.

Tony
MTDriver
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 - 04:25 AM UTC
Hi Tony,was there 3 years ago,always on the lookout for model shops,but didn't find anything,nothing in Mombasa either.As has been pointed out,it's really not a priority there, especially considering (then) the average wage was approx £2.00 a day.Beautiful country and the people very hospitable,driving a bit hairy though.

........Dave.
Tonyfr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 - 06:37 AM UTC
Thanks Dave. My friend said driving was insane in Kenya. His wife said she refuses to drive there.
MTDriver
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 - 04:09 PM UTC
Yes,driving can be a bit intimidating,but after a couple of days the wife reckoned I was driving like the 'locals'!Lol!Its only saving grace was they drive on the 'correct' side of the road as like here in the UK,and what little traffic signage they have is in English.One fascinating aspect though when driving out in the countryside is the wildlife strolling at the roadside,just remember,elephants and buffalo have priority (unwritten law!),I wonder what the insurers reaction would be after a fenderbender with a wild animal.I would imagine the nearest model shops would be in South Africa and might be OK customs wise for postal deliveries.Wish your God son luck and he'll love the place.
..........Dave.
Tonyfr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 01:42 PM UTC
LOL

Thanks Dave,

Driving home today I almost hit two deer and a jogger! I can not imagine seeing a elephant cross the road. I think given mass alone the elephant should have the right away.

Tony
MTDriver
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 09:50 PM UTC
On the day we drove down to Mombasa,nearly took out a troop of Baboons,they just plonk themselves down in the middle of the road and can be quite intimidating,plucky little so and so's,nasty looking fangs too.Also had a close encounter with an Ostrich,thats one big turkey.Buffalo look really mean close up,its the only animal the Masai warriors are very wary of,and they go out on foot with just a spear and shield and hunt lions.I think one of the most incongreous sights we saw was a Masai warrior,out in the bush, in full regalia pushing a mountain bike talking into his mobile(cell) phone,it was surreal.
.......Dave.
Tonyfr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 09:32 AM UTC
Good news. My God-son emailed me. He found a toy shop by his new home and they have a lot of model kits he likes. Hence, hopefully, he will get to continue building kits while in the country. I hope to go over and visit him next year. I will keep an outlook for the "Masai warrior,out in the bush, in full regalia pushing a mountain bike talking into his mobile(cell) phone."

Tony
 _GOTOTOP