Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Moving to USA
Markus_Almighty
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 31 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 01:20 AM UTC
Just have a few questions related to moving to another country.

I plan to move to USA sooner or later. I'm just not 100% sure when cuz I plan to go to university over here. In that case I might move about 6-7 years from now. Plan B is that if I don't get in the university I would move in about 1 or 2 years from now.

What I plan to do in USA is to join the US Army. So the questions are:

1. Will I be able to join the army at the age of 27 or 28.
2. Will I be able to join the army as a foreign, as a non US citizen.
3. I've heard they don't take people in USA just like that, so what do I need to do? I mean is it true that I must have a high educational degree if I want in?
4. Do I have any advantages cuz I want to join the army?

Reason for joining the Army are not scale models, Hollywood movies, books, PC games or anything else like that. I know that being an soldier is not a joke I know that in case of a war its not gonna be nice and awesome at all. My dad was in war and after the war he re-enlisted. He was a professional soldier for 7 years.

Reason is that I love the military since I was a kid and I feel like I'm part of it. My family has a long military tradition. I don't want to join the Croatian armed forces cuz its pretty messed up over here (I mean the whole system). I just wish I was born in USA and can't wait to move.

So please help me out here and add if I missed anything. Thanks in advance.
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 05:50 AM UTC
Hi Marko. Good luck with your plans. Sorry I can't help with any answers, but here is a link to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service. You should be able to find answers here.

USCIS
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 07:57 AM UTC
1. The minimum age to enlist is 17 with parent's consent, the maximum age is 42.

2. To be eligible to enlist, a non-citizen must:
(1) Entered the United States on a permanent residence visa or have an Alien Registration Receipt Card (INS Form 1-551/I-551 greencard or stamped I-94), and
(2) Established a bona fide residence, and
(3) Established a home of record in the United States.
The visa and/or "greencard" must have sufficient time remaining on it (expiration date) to be valid during the entire term on enlistment. While non-citizens may enlist in the U.S. Military, they are not allowed to serve more the 8 years unless they first become U.S. Citizens. However, there are accelerated citizenship procedures for non-citizens on active duty.

3. Generally speaking, a high school diploma or GED is required for enlistment. No higher education is required. Service in the US Armed Forces grants very good education benefits under the GI Bill.

4. Unknown.

For more information visit http://www.goarmy.com/
Markus_Almighty
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 31 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 08:36 AM UTC
Wow, thanks a lot, both of you. That is all I wanted to know and all I needed to know. You saved me from wandering around, wasting time. Everything is much much clearer now.