_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Paint Mixing
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 5,926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 271 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 08:00 PM UTC
Hello Everybody!

I would like to share with you a tip I picked up during my last few months of modelling. I have been using my airbrushes almost everyday and I find that the Tamiya and Gunze paint I use benefits from accurate mixing of thinners etc.
To this end I have started using 5ml syringes to mix my paints. They cost me very little from the local chemist and I hust through them away when I can't read the graduations anymore.
One other handy thing about using the syringe is that if you draw the thinners into the syringe first, then the paint, and then you remove the syringe from the paint and just suck air through the paint/thinner mix it mixes the paint perfectly everytime!
No more messy pouring paint and thinners into tiny cups. Just squirt the desired amount of mixture into the cup. No mess, no fuss. Any paint left over can either be left in the syringe to be used up to 24hrs later (well that is my time limit) or just squirt it back into the paint jar as the small amount of thinner doesn't worry me going back into the paint.
Blueheeler
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 347 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 10:54 PM UTC
Bloody good idea Warren
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 01:14 AM UTC
This only works with acrylics, if you use enamels the rubber seal will expand and be next to useless. you can get plastic graduated pipettes - i get mine from evil bay, they wok in a similar manner, perfect mixing for me!!
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
entire network: 456 Posts
KitMaker Network: 87 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 03:59 AM UTC
Hi guys,

What I use is a glass syringe. You can clean it with no problem and it doesn't matter what kind of paint you use.

It is also true that they are hard to get nowadays. In fact I am looking for more (I broke the one that I used most (5ml) (still have a bigger and an smaller one)) and cannot find them in Spain. Maybe my finacee has more luck in China or I will have to ask some friends in India. Anyway if any of you knows where can I get them I would appreciate it.

I personally like to do the mixing in the other way (first paint and next thinner).

Have a nice day,
Angel
cpmstu
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 30 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 07:40 AM UTC
Great tips!

se
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 5,926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 271 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 09:08 AM UTC
Andy, you can use it with enamels and laquers as well, just make sure you rinse the syringe out as soon as you can after the mixing. But I agree it will damage the rubber seal if you leave it there.

I use acrylics almost eclusively now. Hate trying to clean up those toxic enamels and laquers!
 _GOTOTOP