_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Filipino Modelers Phorum
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Where can you get casting supplies
juanl888
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 11 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 02:58 AM UTC
where can you get the rtv mold and resin? and also can you use the resin they use for making fiberglass?
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 02:04 PM UTC
From me. To be more accurate, I have a family friend who sells polyester resins and RTV. I get it from him. Close to a thousand bucks I think - not sure - for both resin and RTV, with their respective catalysts. I think it's around P700+ total, forgot really.
And yes, they are IIRC in the fibreglass business also. Same resin they use IIRC, plus other materials to make fibreglass.
The resin I get is one litre, with a small bottle containing its catalyst. The RTV comes in different sizes. I get mine in .5kg, that's plus with catalyst. Take note that the catalyst provided is for the same amount of resin/RTV, hence if you run out of catalyst before running out of resin or RTV, that means you've been using too much catalyst - unless you spilled it or it dried out.

Alternatively, as a substitute for the above-mentioned RTV is RTV used in automotive gaskets or one use in plumbing, both being available in your hardware shop. The red RTV gasket and the plumbing one (which is transparent) stinks to high heaven because as they cure they emit acetic acid - vinegar smell. However, the RTV mentioned earlier smells just like rubber. The gasket and plumbing RTV costs P100 per tube, as opposed to the P400+ "real" RTV. However, gasket and plumbing RTV has its downsides. Other than it stinks, it cures much more slowly than "real" RTV, and doesn't follow much of the contours of the master - unless you pour it first and press the master in it. Another is that it's viscosity cannot be controlled, hence it is harder to manipulate, unlike real RTV wherein, with the proper amount of catalyst, it hugs every detail of the master.
I prefer using real RTV for major molds, while the gasket RTVs for small, uncomplicated molds.
juanl888
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 11 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 06:47 PM UTC
Thank you for the quick response!!! Im really interested on the RTV but the problem is that im based in bacolod. If we could find a way to send you the money and send me the stuff then that would be great!!!
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 03:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you for the quick response!!! Im really interested on the RTV but the problem is that im based in bacolod. If we could find a way to send you the money and send me the stuff then that would be great!!!

Perhaps you might have a relative in Metro Manila, preferably at Paranaque. Maybe me and that relative - if any - could meet, do the exchange. They advance the money for you, then you reimburse them.
 _GOTOTOP