_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Tank sculpture
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 05:00 AM UTC
Every year my daughter's school has an Art day where the children get to make art in mediums outside the school curriculum. Despite my father's advice to "Never Volunteer" I facilitate a copper sculpture workstand. The kids have to do a drawing and then cut the pieces from copper and then I solder them together using copper to copper rods. usually it's flowers and fish and other nice stuff since it's against the ethos of the school to make weapons. this year I forgot to brief the two art student volunteers with me and I found myself soldering together swords, which we had to then confiscate after one eight year old tried to stab his class mate. My two favourites from the day were this AK47

and this Tank.

When I asked how they knew what tanks and AKs looked like- they knew them from the game "Call of Duty"

I'm expecting to hauled in front of the principal tomorrow to be lectured abiut making weapons She'll probably give lines to write out.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 12:01 PM UTC
Thank heavens it's only lines you're likely to get these days...

I like the tank, there's something very appealing about it, and it's also funny, I was thinking about tank sculpture the other day, imagining a kind of Picasso interpretation of a tank model - and that's almost it!

And people spend hours working on getting a distressed finish like that.
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 03:03 PM UTC
This is fantastic! I like the tank as well. It looks like the Strv 103, sort of...

cyclones6
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,199 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 06:33 AM UTC
Nice
What a great influence!!
Evan
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,661 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 12:17 PM UTC
how did the result go! did you get a telling off?
its good to get kids interested in everything ( bar stabbing) so i reckon it was a great day for all parties!
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 11:05 PM UTC
I got away with it actually.
It's a great day at the school the kids get to chosse from 27 different art forms, everyone gets covered in paint, ink and plaster dust and the results go on show in the local library.
 _GOTOTOP