_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Throwing around an idea
TheGame
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 98 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2002 - 11:30 AM UTC
Since all I ever seem to do is make posts asking for help (not experienced enough to offer any yet) I had an idea (guess I'm feeling guilty cluttering up the boards with help questions)

Maybe some people wouldn't mind becoming a mentor. The experienced modelers could take an inexperienced modeler under their wing and correspond with them via email, IM, etc and help them out with questions, tips, advice, how to, experiences, etc. Or something along those lines.

Someone could post something like "Help...looking for a mentor" and whoever wants the position could respond to them and start on the road to a nice mentor/mentee relationship.

What's everyone think?

m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2002 - 11:35 AM UTC
That's a good idea, but, then you'd lose the collected wisdom of the group. And many of us would be asking the same questions over and over again.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2002 - 11:40 AM UTC
Game,
Mentors are always a good idea. If someone can devote that kind of time to helping out a beginning modeler or just anyone in need I think that's great. I have been truly in awe of all the in-depth responses on this board. Maybe I am a little biased but many other boards I view seem to have one sentence answers or very curt replies. You guys (you know who you are) really go above-and-beyond the call in helping out your fellow modelers.

However I think it's important to bring up that moving exchanges of info to email (or chat for that matter) kind of defeats the sharing of this knowledge with everyone else. That's the real strength of forums. Hopefully this info will be here for many years to come. Just think some beginner modeler will come and read your question and say "hey, I was wondering that myself!" And perhaps if they eventually post a question you will be the one with the sage advice! Lol

Jim

pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 261 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2002 - 11:44 AM UTC
Gotta agree with BC on this. Just ask the questions, and you'll get the answers.
Probably a dozen different...LOL
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2002 - 12:25 PM UTC
Excellent point's Jim, errr, I mean 'Wizard'. The communal sharing of questions and answers only begat's more questions and answers which in the end helps ALL of us.

Besides, if having a 'Mentor' is the issue, then I for one feel that we are all mentors to one another. We all have strength's and weaknesses which can and do get either doled out or bolstered depending upon which is needed.

Tread.
m1garand
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2002 - 12:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gotta agree with BC on this. Just ask the questions, and you'll get the answers.
Probably a dozen different...LOL

And those dozen different are one of the things that make this site great. And also give you different ideas or techniques to try so you can find what works best for you.
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,088 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2002 - 01:39 PM UTC
I think the best thing here in these forums is that you get many different approaches to your problem. You get an idea from here and there and perhaps you come up with something totally different. Although sharing tips, tricks and info we all have our personal ways of working. I feel that most of the time when I´m stuck with something, all I need is just a little help from my friends, a friendly "push" and I find my own way again.

Toni
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2002 - 08:52 PM UTC
A long time it has been, since my last padawn learner......
I agree with everything that's been said above.
That's all I have to say about that.

YodaMan
Life is like a box of choc......
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2002 - 09:11 PM UTC
YM,
I know you have the spelling disclaimer, but as a Star Wars fan you owe it to yourself to spell "padawan" correctly.

Jim
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2002 - 09:22 PM UTC
:::sigh::::
If I wasn't a good Jedi Master, I'd be trying out my force grip on you right about now.

YodaMan
OKAY SO I CAN'T SPELL!!!! DOES EVERYONE HAVE TO POINT THAT OUT??? SHEEESH!!!
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2002 - 09:25 PM UTC
... what spelling error?.....

::::::laughing quietly..... man is that 'edit' feature great or what......::::::
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2002 - 09:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That's a good idea, but, then you'd lose the collected wisdom of the group. And many of us would be asking the same questions over and over again.

I tend to agree...to quote "All of us is smarter than each of us",,,Winnie the Pooh
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2002 - 11:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

YM,
I know you have the spelling disclaimer, but as a Star Wars fan you owe it to yourself to spell "padawan" correctly.

Jim

I thought you knew one of YodaMan's last rites of passage to Jedi Master is controlling the spelling side of the Force. Then, and only then, may he seek that to which he aspires

Gunnie
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2002 - 11:43 PM UTC
So does this mean that I have to go twenty posts without a spelling error before Jim promotes me to Jedi Knight? Wonderful!

YodaMan
Please excuse my poorly spelled quote:
GunTruck
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2002 - 11:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So does this mean that I have to go twenty posts without a spelling error before Jim promotes me to Jedi Knight? Wonderful!

YodaMan

LOL!

Gunnie
m1garand
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2002 - 11:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

YodaMan

And you're not allowed to use the Force for 20 posts.........lol :-)
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 12:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And you're not allowed to use the Force for 20 posts.........lol :-)

I'm afarid you'll need a yslarimi for that to happen. (if you don't know what that is - get with it! :-) )

YodaMan
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 12:43 AM UTC
Hey Yodaman, experience has taught me to blame the computer. The machine simply can't speel.......why else woulf word processors need "speel check",,,, uh.... see what I mean
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 12:55 AM UTC
Actually, my Dad just got a new keyboard (thanks to the cat, who managed to spill a flower vase full of water on the old one) and it's a little different than the old one, so I'm still getting used to it. To feel superior to a computer, simply type the following and run a spellcheck:
Mary had hay lid tell lam
ids fleas as whit as know
where......

YodaMan
Hee hee....
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 04:59 AM UTC
TGame, I know how you feel. I don't think I have a lot to contribute in the way of help either, but you'd be surprised. I think having the board open to all the questions and answers is the best way to go. I've learned so much from people asking questions I would never have thought of. I'd hate to miss out on the great suggestions floated here, to problems I haven't run into yet. This board has developed into a jewel, and I'm sure glad I found it.

And by the way, don't sell yourself short TGame. No one knows everything (LOL, ask Rob - we're not young enough.) and even a tyro like me has offered something to the board that I've been thanked for. You never know when someone will need help or ask a question that fits right into your area of expertise. That's when you happily give someone the benefit of your experience, and that is what makes this board so great.

Mike
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 382 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 05:21 AM UTC
I'm afraid I have to go with the consensus here. Stick to the forum, if not for yourself (even though you WILL get the answers you seek), then for the good of the group. I know that I have a tendency to show up as an 'answerer' rather than a 'questioner', more often than not, but I am amazed at how often I pick up a little tidbit that helps me get better. Let's keep it out where everyone can benefit.

Quoted Text

I'm afarid you'll need a yslarimi for that to happen. (if you don't know what that is - get with it! )

YodaMan

If I know what that is do I get to hold you down and give you a Jedi noogie?
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 10:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If I know what that is do I get to hold you down and give you a Jedi noogie?

Actually, I think you'll find my hair quite noogie-resistant!

YodaMan
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 11:59 PM UTC
one of the great things about this hobby is, that there is a lot to choose from. armor, figures, planes, ships, sci-fi.............etc. and there is always some reference material or "expert" with advice and tips on how to make this hobby more enjoyable.

confucius say,"bang head on wall, get headache."
Red4
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 04:24 AM UTC
I tried the Mary had a little lamb gig. It actually worked. Funny stuff , it worked ....or didn't work "Q"
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 05:27 AM UTC
Not everyones hair is noogie proof !!!! Unless you had a buzz cut here lately.
 _GOTOTOP