_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
I Need Some Blackwashing Help..
19Delta
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 101 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2003 - 01:42 AM UTC
I have the black washing combination mixed up already, I just need help on where to applying it at.

I could put it around the shovel and what not but like where at ? above it or bellow it ? any help would be appreciated
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2003 - 02:12 AM UTC

I usually apply a selective wask to give depth to the details. Just as an example around nuts/bolts inside the various crevices or inset details. I usually don't give a 100% black wash, I prefer to "warm" it up adding some burnt sienna, aniway I don't eceed the ratio of 20% paint to 80% thinner.
This is an example of my Centauro for the Cold War Cookoff campaign I'm working on

Looking at your pic it looks that the finish is matt, I usually prefer to give a clear gloss coat before applying a wash because I can better control the flow of the wash and remove the part in excess. Remember to give an acrylic clear coat if you're going for an enamel/oil based wash or viceversa.
Ciao
19Delta
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 101 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2003 - 02:23 AM UTC
Ive been using model master paints on all of my projects.. its says its an Enamel Paint. I put a coat of Model Master's Lacquer Overcoat over that. What should I use for the black washing? I have a 20/80 ratio on both Acrylic Enamel and just Enamel.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2003 - 02:56 AM UTC
In my view use if it's coated with enamel use an acryl, the ratio it's the same...
Ciao
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2003 - 03:27 AM UTC
Hi All,

The wash technique I now use is Gouache and vinegar.

Gouache is a watercolor. The tubes are small and about the same price as big tubes of other paints, but the pigments are ultra fine. They last a long time.

Vinegar has not effected any of my Polly Scale, Model Master, Tamiya, Humbrol or Floquil paints, or clear coats. It flows on wet without detergent, but the magic is that it dries with pigment smoothly gradating from light to deep, without pooling along the edges.

And if it does not look right, wipe it off with water!

Note, gouache pigment is considered less permanent than oil and watercolors. That may be so but the gouache that I used with my art and illustrations is still as vivid as the day I laid it on 15+ years ago.

I have a e-camera but it's resolution is not that great. I will try to put an example on.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2003 - 03:30 AM UTC
A gloss laquer or acrylic coat won't hurt, but in my long experience, is not necessary for dabbing a wash on. If you're going to brush it on, you might need this more. I put a small amount at the base of any raised detail, in panel lines and a heavy dollop in grill work. I have ben using payne's gray (oil) a lot for most greens and grays and burnt umber (also oil) for warmer colors.
Prowler
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 174 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2003 - 07:54 PM UTC
:-) I read an article on FSM, I forgot the builders name, His technique
in which I too use, use appx. 20% Acrylic paint ( I use MM ) 80% water
and about 10 drops of dish washing liquid.
After applying the wash on a precoated model using Future as precoater
let the wash dry, after the wash is dry, use some QTip slightly damped
and wipe the wash away ( lightly pressured ), If you goof up, you could
almost remove the wash.
Siggi
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 90 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 09:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi All,

The wash technique I now use is Gouache and vinegar.

Gouache is a watercolor. The tubes are small and about the same price as big tubes of other paints, but the pigments are ultra fine. They last a long time.

Vinegar has not effected any of my Polly Scale, Model Master, Tamiya, Humbrol or Floquil paints, or clear coats. It flows on wet without detergent, but the magic is that it dries with pigment smoothly gradating from light to deep, without pooling along the edges.

And if it does not look right, wipe it off with water!

Note, gouache pigment is considered less permanent than oil and watercolors. That may be so but the gouache that I used with my art and illustrations is still as vivid as the day I laid it on 15+ years ago.

I have a e-camera but it's resolution is not that great. I will try to put an example on.

What about the smell? Does it fade naturally?
 _GOTOTOP