Militaria Forum
For discussions on a range of topics like reenacting, vehicle restoration, and collecting.
M151 variation info please
95BravoK9
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 20 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 - 02:20 PM UTC
I went through basic training in 1981 at Ft Mclellan Alabama and was then stationed at Camp Page in Korea from '81 to '82. We were received training with the M151 during basic and used them extensively as MP patrol vehicles in Korea.

For some reason I always believed that they were the A1 version. After doing some reading it seems that the dates would not jive and that I must have been using the A2 version.

Can anyone confirm which version I would have been most likely to have driven?

Thanks!
Chris W.
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 785 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 - 03:21 PM UTC
Cris: I'm no expert, but I would say in the 80's it was most likly the A2 version, I broke out an old TM 9-2320-218-10 It dosen't give which years any peticular type was used, but while in Japan with the Marine Corps we had the A1's.
Good luck with your Quest.

They were fun to drive.
95BravoK9
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 20 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 02:22 PM UTC
thanks for the info...i'm leaning towards it having been the A2 myself.

And yes, they were a ball to drive. They would climb a tree if you gave them have a chance and nothing was better for getting around those tight, winding crowded streets in korea!

Thanks again

Chris W
m75
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 666 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 07:33 AM UTC
Even in the early 80s, you had a good chance of driving either the M151A1 or the A2. From the driver's seat, the biggest difference was that if the windshield wipers were electric, it was an A2. If they operated by a vacuum switch, it was an A1. The exterior differences were mainly (and easy to determine) the presence of the larger turn signals on all four coners, with the front ones set into recesses in the front fender corners. There were other distinctions, but not too obvious.

I recently sold my M151 with all the TMs. The TM doesn't state anything about when particular series marks are placed into operation/service, and the publication date on the TM is only that, the date that the particular TM was authorized/approved, not the vehicle itself.

I had a ball with the M151 series, and only sold mine (an original M151, before the A1 (1962, made by Ford per the data plate) very reluctantly.