_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
How to cut and shape sheet plastic easily
drkwing
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 233 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 06:25 AM UTC
Hi,

First of all, I'm not so sure this is the right place to ask this question, so forgive me if I'm off track.

From time to time I need to scratch build some parts of a scale model, or cut open some place of the hull, etc. Whether it's the hull of a tank or plastic sheet, I find it difficult to cut the plastic in the shape I desire. I only use an x-acto blade for the purpose.

Is there a better tool or a method for cutting kit parts or plastic sheet.

Cheers
jaypee
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,699 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 11:45 AM UTC
for plastic sheet the xacto is what you want. Score and snap dont bother trying to
cut right through.

but for removing bits from kit, like opening a door, freeing a control surface etc you
want to invest in a razor saw. JLC, RB productions are two I can recommend there
may be others but I've not used them.

Happy cutting
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
entire network: 456 Posts
KitMaker Network: 87 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 08:58 PM UTC
Hi Oykun,

If you want to open something and don´t care of thowing it out you can use a pin-vice. Make holes and later with the x-acto cut though all the holes. Later sand to get the correct shape.

Hope this helps.

Have a nice day,
Angel

drkwing
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 233 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 09:57 PM UTC
Hi Angel,

That's exactly what I did while opening the troop door on the back of my LAV25. But as you said it created a mess in terms of surface quality, although sanding takes care of the irregularity, sanding both the door and the hull circumference, now there is a unpleasant gap between the door and the door frame. But I think it is too late to do something other then making a new door from scratch which I'm not in the mood for it.
jaypee
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,699 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 10:45 PM UTC
You could add a shim made out of thin plastic sheet around the door and/or frame to fill the gap. sanded smooth and painted you'll never know the damage was done.

_GOTOTOP