_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Looking for Plastic letters
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 12:28 AM UTC
No not the Blondie Album.

I remember seeing small plastic letters and numbers by one of the online tool shops I think. Someone was looking to use them as casting numbers on a Russian tank. I actually want something bigger- approx 1/2 to 3/4 inch. Font doesn't matter. Anyone know who does them.
I have googled but no joy
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 12:40 AM UTC
http://www.slatersplastikard.com/plastikard/alphabets.html

From 2mm to 16mm...
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 12:56 AM UTC
I have an old nameplate set that includes styrene plastic lettering. They may be about 3/4" tall and molded in black plastic. What letters do you need and I can see if I have those left in the set.

They are a plain ALL CAPS font, very much like the capital letters I just typed.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 01:03 AM UTC
Slaters- that's it Jim Thanks

Quoted Text

I have an old nameplate set that includes styrene plastic lettering. They may be about 3/4" tall and molded in black plastic. What letters do you need and I can see if I have those left in the set.

They are a plain ALL CAPS font, very much like the capital letters I just typed.

Thanks for the offer Rob but they are for an art/sculpture project I'm doing with some kids so I don't know what letters I'm going to need yet. Slaters should sort me out thanks.
modelmaker35
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 - 10:08 AM UTC
You should be able to pick them up from most model shops that stock railway stock.
Hope this is of some help??
Regards Steve.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 08:09 AM UTC
Without knowing which letters you'll need, or how many, I'd say check out your plastic spoon collection. Most have either the restaurant's name (Popeye's are pretty much unusable) or other lettering molded on the backside. The bottom of your kids' toys in another excellent source. You can even find useful logos (Ford immediately comes to mind) on spare auto parts.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 09:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Without knowing which letters you'll need, or how many, I'd say check out your plastic spoon collection. Most have either the restaurant's name (Popeye's are pretty much unusable) or other lettering molded on the backside. The bottom of your kids' toys in another excellent source. You can even find useful logos (Ford immediately comes to mind) on spare auto parts.

I know it might seem strange Robert but I don't have a plastic spoon collection

Thanks for the tip though. I never thought to look for moulded on plastic letters.

I picked up the Slater's letters and they're pretty good

but you don't get many letters in the large size

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 11:24 PM UTC
I was lucky years ago I had a friend in England send me 6 sets of their 1.5 MM ones which it seems they do not make anymore.

Great stuff slater's
 _GOTOTOP