_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Tamiya Liquid Surface Primer?
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2009 - 03:51 AM UTC
Hi guys and gals! Been a while. After a long hiatus from modeling, I figured I go back to the hobby and buy a new kit. Problem is, they don't have any more Mr. Surfacer 1200 (bottle) so I picked up Tamiya's Liquid Surface Primer. Now I want to know if I could use this too as a regular liquid putty?

Thanks in advance!
Phil_H
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2009 - 05:23 PM UTC
Yep, Tamiya's product is quite similar to Mr Surfacer though perhaps slightly less viscous. Brushed on (eg. over fine scratches), it self-levels quite well and settles down with few brush marks. Alternatively, you can pile it onto one spot using a toothpick or similar. It will flatten out a little, and like Mr Surfacer, shrinks somewhat as it dries - just pile some more on as required to fill the gap and when dry, sand smooth. You can also smooth (and clean up) Tamiya LSP with denatured alcohol (Methylated spirits here in Australia)

So, yes, you can use it in the same way you use Mr Surfacer.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 02:50 AM UTC
Awesome mate. I tried it and it works like charm, though can't be used on larger gaps. So for this one it's denatured alcohol when I put it on my airbrush not laquer thinner on Surfacer 1200 for priming?
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,713 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 12:51 PM UTC
I'd sure would also like to hear advise on this. Tried to prime using LSP with lacquer thinner and it clogged my AB. Had to dismantle and do a major clean-up. So for now its back to the DIY rattle can. Cheers
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 03:24 PM UTC
I've been using Tamyia Liquid Surface Primer, both white and the Grey through my airbrush for quite a while now for priming. I thin it the same as I do/would Mr Surfacer 1200 or 1000, with plain old lacquer thinner, and clean the airbrush with lacquer thinner that I buy by the gallon at the local Orange Box Store. I like the fine grain, and it sprays well for me with a 50/50 mix.
As for filling gaps, it's really a little on the thin side right out of the bottle for just about anything wider than a hairline seam, and takes several applications to fill gaps.
For gaps, I use a variety of different thickness of CA glue. A little kicker, or micro-balloons/talcum powder does an excellent job of filling larger gaps. Just sand as soon as possible after the mixture hardens, otherwise it will cure hard as a rock.

You might want to try to mix in a little micro-balloons or talcum powder with the LSP to thicken it for gap filling.
Can't comment on the Methylated spirits thinning it for airbrushing or cleaning it up, as I've never used it.

Nice to see you back Ralph.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 07:37 PM UTC
Thanks for the info Dave! Yep! A lot had happened through the year. I'm glad to be back in the hobby! See you around the forum!
 _GOTOTOP