_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Is it me or has the plastic changed?
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 12:15 AM UTC
Well I needed some thin sprue to fill a few holes so as I have plastic rod in various thickness I decided instead of looking for the right one I would stretch some.

Well I have stretched some new sprue stuff Dragon Academy AFV I figured any easy deal.

Well I cut the sprue " Tamiya " old kit and boy did that stretch like a human hair I had to do two pieces as the first I ran out of arm.
I needed thick as is the case with dragon an easy deal as I found it will not pull to far anyway.

So my question is has the chemical makeup changed in 34 years?

Must of in a big way.

So now I will be hording my old stuff for stretching for weld beads and antenna's.

Thanks for any replies.

A fun lesson was learned.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 - 08:31 AM UTC
No, plastic hasn't changed at all in 34 years. It is just as variable now as it was then. Which is to say "extremely variable".

The polystyrene used to make model kits is not a specific thing. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of polystrene recipes, many, many of which are useable for kits and many of which have been used over the years even by a single kit producer.

Some of the older producers have favourite blends that they have liked over the years, but even these things drift all the time as individual modifiers & additives change their formulas or become cheaper or more expensive. Newer manufacturers are in the process of discovering what blends they like and maybe don't even specifiy a blend if they are not doing the moulding themselves.

The short answer is, therefore, not to be surprised if plastic has a different consitency over 34 years, but rather to be amazed that it is ever similar between any two kits, even of the same subject from the same manufacturer.

Paul
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 - 11:51 PM UTC
Good answer Paul.

Strange how that did stretch I went for a slow pull but as soon as I started I saw that it was going to go long very long indeed.

Thanks
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 12:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No, plastic hasn't changed at all in 34 years. It is just as variable now as it was then. Which is to say "extremely variable".

The polystyrene used to make model kits is not a specific thing. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of polystrene recipes, many, many of which are useable for kits and many of which have been used over the years even by a single kit producer.

Some of the older producers have favourite blends that they have liked over the years, but even these things drift all the time as individual modifiers & additives change their formulas or become cheaper or more expensive. Newer manufacturers are in the process of discovering what blends they like and maybe don't even specifiy a blend if they are not doing the moulding themselves.

The short answer is, therefore, not to be surprised if plastic has a different consitency over 34 years, but rather to be amazed that it is ever similar between any two kits, even of the same subject from the same manufacturer.

Paul

Pure Polystyrene is one of the base plastics and should be the same today, as it was 35 years ago. But I dont think any company uses pure PS. They add small amounts of rubber, synthetic rubbers or an.other to the mixes for many reasons .... because of economics as Paul suggested but also to improve the injection moulding process and final quality. It is not only the advances in machinery that has allowed these companies to mould thinner parts today, but also the changes to the blend and/or additives to the base PS.
Plastic is a relativly new product ... but advances are amazing over those last 30 years ... with whats available and becoming available .....1000s of variations is no under-statement.
Dragon are the only ones who have hinted at this ...with their "DS" parts, but even this has changed since its initial launch. Ordinary cement didnīt work with the first figures released in their Sd.Kfz 251 kits, but it works today. Its still called DS, but has definitly changed in its make up. The quantity of rubber/synthetic rubber in the intitial mix was too high, so they have probably reduced this and now it works.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 3,736 Posts
KitMaker Network: 35 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 03:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well I needed some thin sprue to fill a few holes so as I have plastic rod in various thickness I decided instead of looking for the right one I would stretch some.

Well I have stretched some new sprue stuff Dragon Academy AFV I figured any easy deal.

Well I cut the sprue " Tamiya " old kit and boy did that stretch like a human hair I had to do two pieces as the first I ran out of arm.
I needed thick as is the case with dragon an easy deal as I found it will not pull to far anyway.

So my question is has the chemical makeup changed in 34 years?

Must of in a big way.

So now I will be hording my old stuff for stretching for weld beads and antenna's.

Thanks for any replies.

A fun lesson was learned.

There are other variables in stretching sprue besides chemistry, like how hot did that particular piece of sprue get before you pulled it away from the heat source, and did you pull it promptly or let it start to cool before pulling on it? Any of these can affect the relative thickness of the strand. Personally, I haven't noticed any difference in the properties of the kit plastics over the last thirty years, though hardness and flexibility do vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. For instance, the plastic used by Alan, the Russian company, is often soft and cheesy, but also brittle, so it can cut easily with little pressure from a knife blade, but can shatter suddenly with only slightly greater pressure. On the other hand, the plastics used by Asian makers tend to flex rather than break under pressure.
wombat58
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 366 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 12:21 AM UTC
Back in the mid to late sixties I had no problem what so ever stretching sprues to just about any size I wanted, it was so easy. Well, today is a different story, I have more failures than success but I don't put it down to the plastic. To me it is just plain simple, I've lost the touch.
Being away from the modelling game for so long has clouded my memory which in turn affects what I thought was the way to do things, how wrong was I.

IT'S ME - NOT THE PLASTIC

cheers

Des
 _GOTOTOP