TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Parts of war not depicted in film
LuckyBlunder
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 273 Posts
KitMaker Network: 107 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 10:49 PM UTC
OK, we've discussed the best war movies and the best perfomances in war movies. Let's talk about those parts of the war, or wars, not covered, or poorly covered by film.

I have three areas that I think would be fertile ground for a well done movie.

1. The air/ground campaign in Papua/New Guinea under MacArther and George Kenney

2. The Aleutian Campaign

3. The pressures on Franklin Roosevelt in the great strategic planning throughout the war that, although he appeared to bear them well, eventually killed him.

There are many more in WW2 and other wars. WW1 had scarcely been touched. Jutland for instance.

What are your thoughts?
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 05:40 AM UTC
I agree about the lack of coverage of New Guinea and the Aleutians. Even better known battles like Saipan and Peleliu have lost out to Tarawa, Iwo Jima and the Philippines.

I think an examination into the actions of the Armor Review board deserves a good look on film.

The Cactus Air Force would be a great movie.

A movie on the war from the viewpoint of the natives of the Pacific islands.

The war in India.

A story about Indian, Moroccan, or other colonial soldiers, or Maori from New Zeland. Or black soldiers who were relegated to support roles but still contributed. And a better movie of the 442nd regimental combat team (Go For Broke is the only one I know of and it was mostly about Van Johnson).

A good movie of WW I, showing everyday life in the trenches. I am sure Hollywood would make it a gore fest, focused on special effects. It isn't often they remember that movies used to be about acting.

A movie about soldiers coming home to rebuild. Germany, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, or anyplace else that was heavily destroyed, showing the cost of defeat.

A movie about the "Candy Bombers" from the Berlin blockade. The local PBS station did a documentary about Col. Gail Halvorsen.

Just a few for thought.

A movie about forced relocation and how it affected families. This could be about any war.
auburn
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 102 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 05:32 PM UTC
evening all...
No the war in Papua/New guinea was poorly covered due the fact that Macthur was running the show and it was all about Macthur, Macthur, Macthurrrrrr....Australia's contubution was huge but never hardly reported on and that by Macthur's orders..........!

....Phil...
LuckyBlunder
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 08:33 PM UTC
Russ -

You have some extremely interesting points here. Burma is almost forgotton and I have never seen, that I recall, any mention of the contribution of the Indian Divisions in the Burma or North African campaigns. "Red Ball Express", if you can find it, depicts the efforts of the truck convoys to keep Patton's Third Army supplied. It was manned by black troops but I don't remember if they were shown in the film.

The story of the men who flew "the Hump" would be interesting.

Phil -

You are absolutely right. Very few people (at least in the States) are aware that up until late 43 or 44 , MacArther commanded more Australian troops than American and what's more he denied them any credit.

I would love see a film about the defense of Port Moresby, Milne Bay and the fighting along the Kokoda Trail (one of the worst places in the world to fight a war) where the Japanese were stopped almost within site of Port Moresby. That was all done by Australian troops. Milne Bay was the first time a Japanese invasion force was defeated. There was an American Engineer unit there and an Australian Infantry Brigade.

One interesting aspect of this theater would be the quandary the Japanese commander was in - does he reinforce New Guinea and try to hold Lae/Buna/Gona or does he send more troops to the Solomons to be chewed up at Guadalcanal? All of this was in ultimate defense of the big Japanese base at Rabaul.

I have always been puzzled by the way the Australian Government so eagerly turned command of their army over to a foreign general. Especially one who got caught flat footed in the Phillipines. Admiral Kimmel and General Short at Pearl Harbor were relieved of their commands for the same thing, but Mac had at least 24 hours warning.

Maybe someday, the record will be straightened out.
auburn
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 102 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 10:05 PM UTC
Evening Steve,
as a New Zealander the question of MacArthers command of Australian troops, something that was allways strongly protected as far back as WW One, has made many an old soldier ask why.
The Australian General Blamey the AUSSIE BOSS who's WW One record was very good,did not come up to the mark in WW Two and was said to have fell under the spell of MacArthers press. Australian officers begun to be excluded from planning future operations etc, and where not able to report to the Australian Government,.. so Curtain the Aust. PM was kept in the dark along with members of parliment...plus all of Mac.s.staff where American so........??

IT has long been felt that America did not want MacArther back in the States to keep putting a spanner in the works of US future plans..so Aussie got him.
He refused to except that Australian troops where any better than just Garrison troops and many a good young Australian officer and soldier gave away his life trying to prove he was wrong...and sadly that of many an American young fella....

Steve there is a very good DVD.avalible now call "Kokoda" based on a small group of Aussie BOYS, of the 39th batt. fighting the Japanese on the Kokda Track, if you can get hold of it its well worth the look......

good talking to you cobber..Phil...

markvs
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 70 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 10:37 PM UTC
I would like to see almost anything, russian front, eastern front (asia), pacific front that is not coloured by the current revisionist agenda.
I watched a doco on tv recently, and it was refreshing to hear the vets saying things that I grew up hearing from my dad, who although not himself involved kept up with things.
Jap wounded shot, because they would not trust them, the atrocities carried out by the Japs, cannibalism etc....
I woul;d also like to see something on the truth of the maori battalion, as in, better to be behind them, rather than in front...
Eaglewatch
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 180 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 10:39 PM UTC
Hi Phil my brother Ant bought Kokoda on dvd a few months back and we both agree that the film is excellant albeit it wasn't exactly filmed on a hollywood budget but still the story and cinematography are right up there i for one thoroughly enjoyed it
LuckyBlunder
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 02:44 AM UTC
Phil -

Thanks my friend. Check out www.imdb.com, The Internet Movie Database.

I found 'Kokoda' , 'Kokoda Front line', a documentary from 1942 and a film entitled 'Somewhere Near Kokoda' about three soldier(apparantly one Japanese) who are cut off and pinned down near the trail.

There is a warning however that they will not play on Region 1 DVD players. I have a Blue-Ray which 'might' play them and I think my computer will play anything.

One thing about that campaign and in the Solomons was the horrible effects it had on the troops. Malaria, Dengue Fever, Scrub Typhus, jungle rot, trenchfoot - together with poor supply and medical aid ruined otherwise healthy troops. There is a small island south of Guadalcanal that both sides tried to put engineer units into that eventually had to be pulled out. It had a particularly vicious and deadly strain of Malaria.

It was a brutal, dirty, yard-by-yard fight that has been relegated to the backwaters of history and needs to be brought out so people have some appreciation for the sacrifices that were made there by all the troops.

Thanks again
LuckyBlunder
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 02:59 AM UTC
"...America did not want MacArther back in the States to keep putting a spanner in the works of US future plans."

True, however, Mac was extremely popular and, if returned to the States might will have been the Republican Presidential candidate in 1944. It is highly possible he could have defeated Franklin Roosevelt.

This byplay might make a pretty good movie in itself.