_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
scratch building a star antenna help
scgatgbi
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 285 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 03:28 AM UTC
New to the group here. I'm converting some 1/32 German Tanks and I want to make a few of them Command Tanks. Anyone out there have any suggestions or detailed instructions for scratch building the star antenna's? I'm trying to keep it simple & don't really want to fork out the $ for the photo-etched kit since i'll be making several of them. I'm thinking about using the stryrene rods, but i've seen wire & brass rods suggested. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sean
Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,255 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 04:39 PM UTC
Hi.

Two methods I have used.

1. Aluminum Can (empty and cleans) cut into sheet. I drew the appropriate size circle for the "flatten” diameter of my star antenna. Drew the lines with a standard Sharpie, which looked great in 1/35 scale. Then using a new razor/scalpel blade I simple and carefully cut out the wedge shaped and left the dark sharpie lines… instant Star Antenna. Simply attach to a Steel Wire and bend to shape.

2. Use still 7 pieces of steel wire. Center post with 6 on the outside placed in a brass tube of the correct diameter to hold it all in place. Solder the end with Silver solder, bend and trim to shape.

Neill
scgatgbi
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 - 02:10 AM UTC
John,
Thanks for the tips. an aluminum can? who woulda thunk it, laugh. That's outstanding! Recycling at its best. Can't wait to give it a shot. I'm doing 1/32 & 1/35 scale. what size wire & tube did you use? Thanks again.

Sean
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 3,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 899 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 03:57 AM UTC
Sean

In Shepherd Paine's book "Modeling Tanks and Military Vehicles" he describes how to build star "crows foot" antennas and frame antennas out of brass rod.

If you can get a copy of the book it is pretty helpful to have around.

Just thought I would let you know.

HARV
scgatgbi
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 04:08 AM UTC
Yeah, I've got the book. Just not a big fan of soldering & was hoping to avoid it, but it seems the only way to get any real strength in the antena is to use brass or whatnot. Thanks.
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
entire network: 456 Posts
KitMaker Network: 87 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 09:02 PM UTC
Hi Sean,

Why not using paper and super glue (cyanocrilate glue)? I think is easier than aluminum or brass foil. You cand draw the star antenna on the paper, cut, bend and apply super glue. Maybe you can also draw it, cut, apply super glue and bend to shape.

Hope it helps,
Angel
scgatgbi
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 - 01:07 AM UTC
Interesting idea. What kind of paper?
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
entire network: 456 Posts
KitMaker Network: 87 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 - 02:58 AM UTC
Hi Sean,

Any kind of papel. Just look for any paper that suits you. If you need a very thin paper you can use the paper used for making your own cigarettes.

Hope this helps,
Angel
 _GOTOTOP