_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Blu-Tack
mvfrog
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 369 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 10:05 AM UTC
I just got some Blu-Tack for the first time. I have heard it referred to, and seen it used here. I have never used it, however. Are there any tips or methods that I should be aware of to use it effectively? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
lskspore
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 28 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 09:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I just got some Blu-Tack for the first time. I have heard it referred to, and seen it used here. I have never used it, however. Are there any tips or methods that I should be aware of to use it effectively? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

Camouflage outline - roll into 3-5 mm thick and then stick on model as outline. Put some pressure when applying so that no leakage of paint can occur when overspraying.
The areas not to be sprayed - between the out-line - use paper to children's play-dooh to cover/fill-up The blu-tack will hold those material in place..

For holding and gluing small parts l - tear a bit and make a cone tip and then press the tip lightly on part . The part will stick on the blu-tack. Then apply glue on part area and press on to model , hold the position for few seconds - the glue will have hardened and you can remove the blue-tack without too much force . I find this very effective especially gluing the small antenna pieces on plane nose or flight stick .
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 07:10 AM UTC
Give it a good roll and stretch it around in your hands to get it soft before using it.

You can use it to make little soft feet under your vehicle so it will sit stable on its side or end, so you can use both hands to paint or glue or whatever, and without damaging the bit underneath.

Temporary location of limbs and heads on figures while you work out how you want them to go.

A big cold blob of it can even be used as a kind of mini vice to hold something small quite firmly while you drill or scrape it or whatever.
mvfrog
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 369 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 10:09 AM UTC
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

Matt
 _GOTOTOP