History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Calling All Canadian Historians
M4A2Sherman
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 316 Posts
KitMaker Network: 44 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 12:09 PM UTC
Hi guys,

I'm planning to make my grandpa's Universal carrier for my campaign ancestors in scale. All I need to know is which Regiment/battery/battalion he served in and all that. I have his discharge papers and it says that he was in the 8/11th medium battery Royal Canadian Artillery. I searched it up on the web, and there are many 8th and 11th batteries. He was from Prince edward island and the 8th and 11th batteries I found are from Hamilton Ontario regiments. A few websites also say that the 8th (Not 11th) battery was redesignated as the 8th heavy anti aircraft. My Grandpa was a scout, and why would anti aircraft regiments need scouts? I really need help with this.
Thanks,
M4A2Sherman
gbyrnsie
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 01:21 PM UTC
I'm not that much of an historian but from what I can gather the 8/11 Medium Bty was formed from elements of the 8th and 11th btys in 1940 and subordinated to the 2nd Medium Regt RCA which served in the UK and the Northern Europe. You might be able to find more information by asking on Army.ca or contacting the guys at Armoured Acorn.

Have you tried reaching out to veterans affairs? You might be able to get more detailed records through them. Their link and others that might be helpful can be found here. Good luck with your research.
horsegunner
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 347 Posts
KitMaker Network: 239 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 03:13 PM UTC
You can also check out the Royal Canadian Artillery website. They have links to every regiment / battery / unit employed by the RCA. I beleive their web address is www.artillery.net
On their website, you can also find a listing of all former gunners. Contact me with his relevant info, offline, and I will see what I can find.

Art
M4A2Sherman
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 316 Posts
KitMaker Network: 44 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 03:47 PM UTC
Thanks alot for the help guys. Were there any specific artillery units from Prince Edward Islands?
Thanks again,
M4A2Sherman