_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Spray Booth
Machu
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 208 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 08:23 AM UTC
Is it possible to make your own spray booth? If so can someone give me a link to some instructions/plans?
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
entire network: 1,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 562 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 08:34 AM UTC
Hi,

Here Building the Cheapest Spray booth known to man you have an article by Delbert, one of ArmoramA members.

HTH

m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 08:35 AM UTC
Try here:

http://63.247.69.227/forums/17&page=1
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 08:40 AM UTC
I used a 4x8 corrugated plastic sheet (similar to cardboard) that I picked up for about $8 at a local home improvement store for mine. The sides are held together with the handyman's secret weapon, duct-tape! The fan was a little difficult to get in but with some bracing it holds. The light is just a small fluorescent lite shining through a hole cut in the top. I'm finding that it works quite well and was cheap to build. It's still fairly rigid and is easily moved on and off my work bench for when I need it as space is a real valuble quantity where I do my work!

Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 04:43 PM UTC
Hey Machu

just a tip.. If you do decide to construst your own paint spray booth....... which is pretty easy to do esp with the secret weapon of duct tape, the most important thing is to make sure you get the right kind of fan. You will want a "brushless" type. esp if your going to be spraying any enamals.

"Brushless" Fans don't create sparks inside them as they work. Two sources of brushless fans are 1 Range hood fans that are designed for use with gas stoves. and 2 . fans used in telecommunciations equipment and large scale electronics . There are prob other sources but these are the 2 I know of.

Most room fans designed for general use (room fans, tabletop fans, ect) are not brushless and their electric motors create sparks inside them and you do not want to be useing any of this type to remove flamable and igniteable fumes from a spray booth... cause you might get a little boom and lose your eyebrows...... (this happened to me once when my tator gun blew up)... cause its very embarressing...

good luck
Prowler
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 174 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 07:30 PM UTC
Hi!, Machu, Here's a link to build simple booth with diagram
http://www.pcmodeler.com//features/20&page=1

or a more complexed one
http://www.pcmodeler.com//features/48&page=1

Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 01:13 AM UTC
I just built one. Grainger has brushless fans. I used a flexible expanding aluminum exhaust tube to vent fumes outside, instead of the plastic and wire ones for dryers. It was only a few bucks at Home Depot. I wired separate switches for the fan, fluorescent light and compressor. I covere the shield of the fluorescent light (that I put inside the box, because it was easier) with plastic wrap, so I can change it as it clouds up.
For the box, I bought a closet organizer, two-drawer box to save time and make the outside a nice laminated white. I put one drawer on top of the unit as a catch-all for air-brush techniques books and articles, etc.(I'm a beginner), many from Armorama. Good luck.
The main thing for me is to get over my fear of the airbrush, so I know its practice, practice, screwup,practice more.
Sealhead
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 379 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 02:00 AM UTC
Sealhead,
Over on Grainger.com, where are the brushless fans? I've been checking their site for an AC brushless fan, but only come up with fans that are in the 100s of dollars.
thanks
Peter
Machu
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 02:13 AM UTC
I don't have any place for the spray booth to vent...so would it be possible to attach some aztec cleaning station filters at the end of the tube?
Delbert
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 05:26 AM UTC
If you have a window you have a place to vent...... just cut you a peice of cardboard the size of the open window.. cut a hole in the middle and duct tape your vent tube to it... also to keep any paint particles from going outside and to cut down on the smell of the fumes.. stuff your vent tube with some of those cheap A/C filters that most hardware stores carry.. just tear the filter material off of em and stuff em in......
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 05:33 AM UTC
Delbert: Duct tape, cardboard? Sounds like you would make a great maintenance man here where I work. If all the duct tape around here magically disappeared the walls would fall down... Personally I use gum and baling wire... #:-)

Shaun
Machu
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 01:14 PM UTC
hmm...the only problem with the window idea is that...I have no window because I do all my work in a big underground "bomb shelter"
Delbert
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 11:38 PM UTC
OK Machu........ got you...... boy would I love just a simple basement to put my hobby room in but you you lucky fellow got yourself a whole bomb shelter.........wow......

but I'll rise to the ocassion and toss out 1 more simple idea... this one will require a rock drill, a couple of jackhammers and some dynamite.......

ok ok seriously... here is an idea that might work but I cannot vouch for it as i've not done it. it is based on the aztek cleaning system but on a larger scale.....will cost a few dollers more also.

get a carboard box. of a fair size.. at least as large as your spray booth. cut a hole in one side for your ducting..... attach duct here with duct tape or any other way. poke holes in other side with a large knife or something.. I'd guess you would want the holes to be at least finger sized for air to go through them.. inside the box tape a A/C filter.. one of the better ones designed to filter out dust and allergens from home A/C units. they cost around $5 or so at a hardware store.. then buy a bunch of the cheap .99 cent ones and tear off the filter material and loosely stuff the inside of the box with it. and duct tape the box shut. (this way air only escapes through the filters.

this may not work 100% but it will prob remove the paint particles from the air and most of the fumes.. as long as you don't go out for long airbrush sessions.

later

by the way.. i grew up in the south.. and was impoverished for most of my youth.. that why I learned to use Duct tape and am fairly good at figureing out new idea's to try...also. I keep a roll of Duct tape in each car... You just won't beleive the things you can fix on the road with this stuff on a car.........

sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 379 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 12:24 AM UTC
Found an online source for brushless fans;

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=displayproduct&lstdispproductid=372549
Machu
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 02:08 PM UTC
I assembled my spray booth and installed the switch, fan, and ventilation tube...I am using a 12 volt 2 1/2in. brushless fan...will this be powerful enough?
 _GOTOTOP