_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
dodgy compressor
KESTRELSUPER
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 86 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 05:32 AM UTC
Hi
i hope someone can help me out, i have had my compressor for about a year(second hand) and its been fine,its a 25ltr 8bar silent runner type,the compressor itself kind of looks like the type you get in the back of a fridge but bigger its not a home made one by the way.
problem is i came to use it yesterday and when i truned it on it ran for about ten seconds then made a short psss sound and cut out ,,so i turned it off and tried again,same thing again.
has anybody any idea whats wrong with it
any help is appreciated
Andy
mvfrog
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 369 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 10:01 AM UTC
I had mine do something sort of similar. I couldn't get any pressure out of it and it would cut out. I had a hose with a hole in it (dog) and when I repaired that, everything worked. I also used white teflon tape on the threads where I connect the airbrush and the moisture trap/pressure regulator. Never have had the problem again (except the dog...teflon tape didn't cure the bite). Maybe that helps...hope so.

Matt
KESTRELSUPER
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 86 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 06:42 PM UTC
hi matt
thanks for the reply mate,i going to go and check out all the connections now
to see if thats the problem
cheers
Andy
AlxUSMC
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
entire network: 216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 51 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 - 03:59 AM UTC
for some reason mine does the same after i use it for more than 5 or six minutes....
mvfrog
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 - 06:35 AM UTC
Sounds like you might have something inside that is overheating, or a thermostat problem (if there is one). Do you have a diagram of the parts assembly for the compressor? Maybe look one up on the net. Also, check to see if there is a filter where the compressor takes in air to compress. Maybe its clogged or used up and not letting the compressor breath smoothly when it needs air...working too hard, overheat, turns off to protect itself. Justs a few thoughts.

Matt
AlxUSMC
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
entire network: 216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 51 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 02:22 AM UTC
when it actually shots down, its not hot at all, a bit warm but not warmer than room temperature
mvfrog
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 11:31 AM UTC
I'm stumped, then. It couldn't hurt to check and see if you have any partial blockages or intake restrictions anywhere. If that;s not it, then it's probably your fornortner rod.

Matt
Pyromaniac
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 375 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 11:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

for some reason mine does the same after i use it for more than 5 or six minutes....

this sounds like the system is est to cut out before it overheats. my hairdryer does a similar thing sometimes (usually when i'm too impatient and am using it to make modelling stuff dry).

i have a problem too with my compressor. it's a cheap 'silent' compressor and it worked fine for ages. it has an auto on/off pressure switch so that it turns on once the pressure drops to below 30 PSI, only it doesn't anymore. once it gets to 30 i hear it judder slightly as the motor kicks in, but then it instantly cuts out again. i probably only moves about half a revolution. then i have to let the pressure down to 0 and then it starts up again fine. i stripped it down today but found no problems, although the two main casing hallves were stuck pretty hard so i couldn't get a look at the motor contacts. all i see is the switch wires, a capacitor and the pressure switch. the pressure switch is a moulded unit so i cant tell if it's damaged, but i figure it must be working cos it starts the motor ok for a split second. then i thought the capacitor might be too tired to get the motor going but i didn't even know motors needed a kick start. any ideas?

this is my compressor by the way
mvfrog
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 08:45 AM UTC
I just had a thought ...Does your compressor have a thermostat somewhere in the "loop" that might be malfunctioning? Or maybe a pressure type shutoff, etc. that might be stuck or not working correctly. I would go more with the thermostat, and look for that. I don't know whether or not I am being very helpful. I have an Iwata Smartjet compressor, and I am looking at the parts list, and it has a thermal switch that cuts off the compressor in case of overheating or lack of voltage, and they also talk about checking for leaks (they suggest the use of Teflon tape on the fittings where one attaches the airbrush hose and airbrush. Anyway, hope that helps to at least go in the right direction.

Good luck,
Matt
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
entire network: 456 Posts
KitMaker Network: 87 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 - 03:17 AM UTC
Hi guys,

How good is the compressor of the photo with a 3L tank?

Thanks in advance,
Angel
 _GOTOTOP