Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Car thieves
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 10:21 PM UTC

This morning my wife went out to the car to take my daughter swimming and some dirt bag had bent the driver's door back in an attempt to gain entry. Why I don't know, there isn't even a stereo in it. It's a 97 Nissan Almera and it will probably cost more to replace the door than the car is worth.

What's annoying is that I normally park in a gated driveway but doing some work outside and a skip occupies that space now.

Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 01:25 AM UTC
Do you have junk yards or auto salvage yards near by? It is normally a cheap place for parts for older cars. Changing out a door is an easy job, although you may end up with a different color.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 01:50 AM UTC
hey Pat, been there myself, four times with the little truck and three times with my big rig. finally put up a sign, thieves will be shot, dismembered and frozen for future dog food. now they leave the trucks alone but the garage has been attempted twice with no sucsses.
BoogalooJ
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 230 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 01:53 AM UTC
Bent the door trying to gain entry? Sounds more like someone bent on vandalism, usually the windows get broken in order to get in a car as it's a much easier way to get in.

Besides modelling, I also enjoy detailing cars, and the number of stories I hear of random vandalism is frightening. How bad is the damage? Depending on the severity (was the paint damaged too?), it may be able to be fixed. Either way, it really bites when stuff like this happens...

Jamie
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 2,166 Posts
KitMaker Network: 473 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 02:59 AM UTC
Pat, are you sure it wasn't some wild animal trying to get at the Soda bread and Barmbrack left in your car?

exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 08:36 AM UTC
Yeah I've bent the door back almost into position but there are two very obvious kinks in the body work. That doesn't bother me once the car goes and gets me from place to place I don't really care what it looks like.
The car looked like a heap of s*&t anyway - it doesn't even have a stereo. It's the mindlessness of it that annoyed me. Today they probably don't even remember doing it.

I work in some of the roughest parts of Dublin with some of the toughest kids out there and I've never had a problem and this happened literally on my doorstep.

Victor
Visit this Community
Louth, Ireland
entire network: 32 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 09:59 AM UTC
Pat,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. i used to live in Dublin, and had a car stolen in the same way, opened the curtains one morning and there it was gone, When it was found the door had been bent back and lock ripped out. It was so expensive to replace the locks and replace the door the insurance wrote it off.

I hope to it works out ok for you.

Victor.