TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Dambusters Remake. Full Size Mock Up
lampie
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 10:54 AM UTC
Camera technology tests apparently.
LINK

Don't mention the name of the dog

Nige
chris1
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 949 Posts
KitMaker Network: 129 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2009 - 10:48 AM UTC
Hi Nige,
Really must do some more on the Thunderbolt.

Yeah its good but it did upset the locals as the couldn't use the local park.

Looks good

chris
squeeky1968
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2009 - 11:36 AM UTC
That`s one sweet build,when`s it coming upon E-Bay ?!?!.
I`m a little upset that political correctness has had to rear it`s ugly head over Gibson`s dog`s name.i`m sure that at the time his name had no racist overtones.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2009 - 09:02 AM UTC
I'm not so sure of that - it might be more accurate to say that at the time, racism was seen as acceptable, at least to mainstream thought, or that at least Gibson didn't mean anything bad by it.

Remember that this film will need to be acceptable to a US audience. In the US "at the time" it could be said that it wasn't racist to enforce racial segregation, but that wouldn't really be true.

It would be nice to think that they could retain the original name, and just stick a big notice up in the opening credits, saying something like "Yes, we know etc. but this is what he was really called so please live with it". But that's probably not going to happen.

I think we should be happy that at least it's still going to be the RAF in Lancasters and that it hasn't been somehow changed to the USAF in Flying Fortresses!!

"Nige" might be a good alternative...
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2009 - 09:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think we should be happy that at least it's still going to be the RAF in Lancasters and that it hasn't been somehow changed to the USAF in Flying Fortresses!!

No doubt they will spoil it by making Arnie Swarzanigsy Barnes Wallis .
Andy
lampie
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2009 - 10:42 AM UTC
Could be a lot worse, it was almost Mel Gibson in a B-17 and Morgan Freeman as Barnes Wallis.
Trivia,,Barnes Wallis used to live just up the road from me
padawan_82
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 817 Posts
KitMaker Network: 122 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2009 - 12:32 PM UTC
wow that's cool Julian well, i got that beat, i'm from stoke-on-trent, and you know who was born there don't you...lol a guy named Reginald Mitchell the inventor of the Spitfire. yep he lived in Kidsgrove, (My Dad was also born in Kidsgrove) his house is still there as a museum.
lampie
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2009 - 09:40 PM UTC
Is the Reginald Mitchell Primary School still open?
Probably the only kids of that age nowdays who know who designed the spit, in fact, probably the only kids of that age who know what a Spitfire is!

Whos this Julian bloke anyway?

Nige ( not a black labrador)
woof.
padawan_82
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 817 Posts
KitMaker Network: 122 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 03:26 AM UTC
sorry Nige i used your surname forgot to put Nige infront of it, but yeah as far as i know the primary school is still open, at least it still was three years ago.. when i used to work up near there, they were trying to close it but there was a petition against it, not sure if it was successful though as i work up Stoke now so i haven't been up to Kidsgrove in a while.
montythefirst
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 11:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

No doubt they will spoil it by making Arnie Swarzanigsy Barnes Wallis .
Andy

Yeah your probably right there or they will use american actors with dodgy english accents

Blackwulf
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 215 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 12:22 PM UTC
Geez, and here my history teacher told our class that the USAF flew B-17's on that mission. That happened in Italy right??
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
entire network: 1,280 Posts
KitMaker Network: 213 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 04:56 AM UTC
It could be worse. They might try to add:

+ A female crew/pilot/navigator

+ Asian/African/Native American crewmembers

+ Have Gibson and his Co-pilot engage in a contest who can destroy more dams

Blackwulf
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 215 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 11:02 AM UTC
I am glad I found this thread because the dambuster raid was such an interesting mission. All facets of this mission were so interesting from the low level flying which required expert piloting skills to all of the engineering involved from the spotlights on the water to spinning the drums prior to release, etc..... I hope that this movie does not end up being obscure like the Red Baron and never makes it to the US. It would seem to me that they will have to use artistic license to attract those who are not enthralled with world war 2 history. Oh well, I will keep my fingers crossed and hope that Peter J. does a good job with it.
lampie
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 11:20 PM UTC
Heres a set of photos from a pub in Scampton that I visited a couple of years ago.
DAMBUSTERS INN
Nige
firstcircle
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 10:21 AM UTC
Wow, that really is quite something - really like a museum. Glad to see there's still some classic old pub style there as well: the dusty old hops and the landlord in the "traditional" nice jumper. Let some super brewery try to make over that place - I think not!!

Whether the film disappears before getting to the US or not will surely depend on how good it turns out to be - it has a high profile director so must surely get the full distribution. I know that most contemporary British films are terrible rubbish though.

You know the more I think about it, the more I think Nige is the name to go for on this - how do I suggest it? Hope you don't mind me saying that Nige, but it's the fact that it's a real name, and there's something particularly British about it too.
pebblemonkey
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 180 Posts
KitMaker Network: 27 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2009 - 11:08 PM UTC
I just hope they get it all right,
they'll be alot of critics watching it when it comes out.

Matt
acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 183 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 11:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It could be worse. They might try to add:

+ A female crew/pilot/navigator

+ Asian/African/Native American crewmembers

+ Have Gibson and his Co-pilot engage in a contest who can destroy more dams

Given that Peter Jackson has made a couple of half decent flicks in his time - you might have seen King Kong or the Rings trilogy - and given that PJ is a Major Aviation Buff (has his own collection of WW1 biplanes... and a tank... and more stuff...), I think you WON'T see any U571/Pearl Harbour twuntery in the Dambusters remake.

Consider this - when the CGI biplanes attack CGI King Kong atop the CGI Empire State Building, you can see the landing gear wheels slowly spinning in the slipstream.

With that level of attention to detail and affection for the subject matter, I don't think you're going to get Guy Gibson in a shower scene with WRAF Wendy Whitesocks, or any gritted teeth 'take it easy man' protracted Hollywood death scenes. Or the USAAF riding to the rescue.

$0.02

acav out
auburn
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 102 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2009 - 04:28 PM UTC
Hello all,..
truly looking forward to all this happening,..l think Acav may have got things on the button, as for the dogs name, that was his name for god sake " Niger " forget the name and remember 50 men lost their lives on the Dambuster raid, bet there are too many people can remember their names??....

Phil...
airraid
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 277 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 06:17 PM UTC
I notice that the issue of Gibsons dogs name has popped up again .What we must also remember is that Nigger was also used as the code that the attack was successful.I read that after the raid some of the survivors went for a quiet night out,they wern't wearing uniform so some bright spark slipped some white feathers in their coat pockets.my own opinion on the name is it's a historical fact and shouldn't be changed.
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 3,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 490 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 12:28 PM UTC
I remember watching the movie on TV in the US. They had dubbed that to make the dog's name "Trigger". Decades later I got the videotape and was playing one sumer night with the doors and windows of my apartment wide open. The name was NOT re-dubbed on this tape and when the scene comes up where he calls his dog, my jaw fell open and then I LEAPT for the volume control on the TV lest my neighbors hear it. Of course these days I hear more of the N word from Black comedians.