_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Filipino Modelers Phorum
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
"Primer" talk
jomz
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 543 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2003 - 07:55 PM UTC
What brand of primer do you guys use? Tamiya's primer I like very much -- but alas the price Php450 per tall-can is kinda steep? Mr. Primer I've had bad experience with, too wet.

So what primer-brand and type do you recommend/use.
lonewolf
Visit this Community
entire network: 478 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 02:00 AM UTC
I use Mr. White Primer...I get no problems so far....

It works great in anime figures....^_^
jomz
Visit this Community
entire network: 543 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 07:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I use Mr. White Primer...I get no problems so far....

It works great in anime figures....^_^

basa yung pag spray nang Mr. White Primer ko eh, it would've been because of the rain, but I tried Tamiya White Surface Primer at the same time, mas pino. Baka lumang stock yung primer ko.
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 06:43 PM UTC
Tamiya Flat Black sprayed through an airbrush is my primer of choice. I use some spray cans to check for seams and flaws when sanding and filling. Hassle kasi magsetup ng airbrush kung konti lang ang pinturahan.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 08:20 PM UTC
Truth be told, I don't prime my models - even if I'm going to paint them with lacquer (Gunze's Mr. Color). I only primed two models throughout the years. Nowadays, I'm so lazy that many times I don't even wash my model prior to painting it.

And it still works.

Jeep, Flat Black as primer? AFAIK, there are 3 reasons for priming a model - 1) to find the flaws in the construction, 2) to protect the model from lacquer paints, and 3) to make the base coat adhere to the model. Preferably, for reason #1, the primer should be gray or white - basta light color, so one can see the imperfections in the construction (e.g. sanding marks, etc.)
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 08:29 PM UTC
Actually di nga sya primer kundi preshading. I don't like painting and priming is just one more step in the process. I don't use paints that may melt plastic too. As a rule Tamiya acrylics lang ang ginagamit ko.

Dati I washed my models before painting them. Ever since I read somewhere that this process can be skipped di ko na ginagawa yon. Wala pa namang masamang nangyayari.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 04:43 PM UTC
Ah yes... Tamiiya Acrylics... love the smell of that in the morning (that, plus RTV and resin - my, would explain the 'visions' I see I think)

One time when I wash my model is when it's going to be painted in white. I reckon priming would be very useful if you're doing a white-colored subject. Tamiya white (actually, all the whites I've tried) are very hard to adhere to the surface. This includes application by airbrush, paintbrush, or spray can.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 03:38 AM UTC
The primer I use nowadays is the cheapest one, can be bought (or find almost anywhere). It's water. Yup, plain tap water
shonen_red
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 03:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Truth be told, I don't prime my models - even if I'm going to paint them with lacquer (Gunze's Mr. Color). I only primed two models throughout the years. Nowadays, I'm so lazy that many times I don't even wash my model prior to painting it.

And it still works.

Jeep, Flat Black as primer? AFAIK, there are 3 reasons for priming a model - 1) to find the flaws in the construction, 2) to protect the model from lacquer paints, and 3) to make the base coat adhere to the model. Preferably, for reason #1, the primer should be gray or white - basta light color, so one can see the imperfections in the construction (e.g. sanding marks, etc.)

Today, modern tech gives us an edge. Di naman nakakasira na ang laquer paints kasi they're "formulated" for use on models. Beleive me, puting a model in a paint thinner is can ruin the model and not buy using laquer paints. Ohh I still remember that beautiful model!
blitz
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 502 Posts
KitMaker Network: 432 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 03:19 AM UTC
for figures i really go for citadel primer CHAOS BLACK and okay na ako sa Vallejo paints(really sought after by figure painters) and Citadel paints...
 _GOTOTOP