_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Aftermarket sets for the Bizmarck in 1/700th
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2009 - 09:23 PM UTC
I would like to throw out a thought, for all of you to ponder.I am building a 1/700th Bismarck and would like to know if there is a "one stop shop"website that has to do with anything and everything in 1/700th scale. PE Sets like ladders, railings,radar,everything on the deck that should be on there?I saw a model of a Jeff Gordon race car, it looked so real I had to email the guy who built it.
He told me that he wanted to build a model with every possible Brass,PE Set ....ect. He had photos of the finished car and WOW is all I said.Iooked like the real thing.
So I was thinking about what if I could do the same but in 1/700nd scale? buy everything possible that you can get for that ship. Thank you
Damraska
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 77 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 10:50 AM UTC
Toms Modelworks and White Ensign Accessories both make photo-etched detail sets for the Bismarck and Tirpitz. Both also make generic photo-etched rails, ladder, and so forth in many styles. Greatmodels sells many of these accessories, but a quick search will probably turn up many relevant shops.

If you want to build a really accurate Bismarck, I would also recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Battleship-Bismarck-Anatomy-Ship/dp/1591140501

It contains a wealth of information and plans for just about everything on the ship.

I have the book above, a 1/700 Trumpeter Bismarck, and the appropriate Tom's set for it. I highly recommend the book, but have not performed a really critical analysis of the model or accessory. Both received good reviews (which is why I bought them).

Good luck with your project!

-Doug
ajkochev
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 246 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 09:53 AM UTC
A lot of ship modelers do this and it can get quite expensive.

Check out Pacificfront.com. Great models is good as well.

I'd recommend:

Gold Medal Models: German Warship set
Lion Roar: Bismarck Turret Upgrade

To start with.

There are a few more from Pacificfront but that should get you started.
 _GOTOTOP