_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Bush Telegraph
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Clear coat?
wombat58
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 366 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 11:58 AM UTC
Could I get some advice on what is the best clear coat to use before applying decals. I have read many reports from different people and all swear by a certain product. I know it boils down to personal choice but there must be one product that stands out from the crowd.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

(at present I am using Humbrol Clear Cote)
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 07:01 PM UTC
Hi Des,

I haven't really used many of the clear coats that are available, so really can't help by presenting you with alternatives. I've generally just gone for the Humbrol Matt, Gloss and Satin Cotes (the ones in the glass bottles, not the tinlets). I've never really had an issue with these except where I haven't mixed properly.

You may want to post the same question in one of this forum:

Aeroscale's Start Here (for Beginners) forum - I see you most do aeroplanes, so you'll be in good company.

Rudi
wombat58
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 07:20 PM UTC
Hi Rudi.

Thanks for your input, the Humbrol product you speak of is the one I have been using.

Yes, I build only 1/32 scale WW1 aircraft, I will follow your advice and post the same question in Aeroscale Forum'

Cheers.....Des.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 11:30 AM UTC
Hi Des,

No worries.

I apologise for not being able to provide more input and refer you elsewhere, but I'd rather refer you to the right place with the right people than give you the wrong info

Rudi
wombat58
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2009 - 12:56 AM UTC
no problems Rudi...any answer is better than no answer.

When someone is starting out again after such a long break from models it takes a bit of searching to catch up on the latest techniques. I read as much as I can on all the sites just to absorb as much information as possible, look at photos, read the builds and how they are done but there are still questions that need answering. Your answer is another bit of useful information to be stored in my memory bank....so..no need to apologise.

cheers......Des.
rokket2001
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 353 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2009 - 10:56 PM UTC
The Yanks use a clear floor wax called (there) Future. We have a similar product with a different name, it's by Johnson & Johnson. You can thin it and clean it off with Windex glass cleaner or plain ammonia. Wonderous stuff, many seal models with it and use it as a decal base. If you make a mistake you can clean it off with ammonia/glass cleaner. It IS glossy, so you'd need a dull coat over after.

I have only used for decals as a base and sealer, and works great. Here it's called Pledge One Go.

Hope it helps.
wombat58
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 12:49 AM UTC
Thanks for the info.

I am building the WNW LVG and I am at the stage of puting the lozenge on the wings. I am thinking of coating the raw plastic wings with Pledge as a base for the decals, what do you think?
The WNW site in the hints and tips section say to paint the wings with a gloss paint first before the decals, will Pledge do the same thing?

Cheers... Des.
Blueheeler
Visit this Community
entire network: 347 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 06:37 PM UTC
Pledge is what I use as well and have never had any issues with it at all; perfect for decaling over the top of and prior to weathering.
 _GOTOTOP