_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Im done....I quit.....
Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 776 Posts
KitMaker Network: 190 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 11:22 AM UTC
Yup...Im done with modeling.....mostly modeling those junk company kits. (ICM, ZVEZDA,ALAN, ETC)

Thier was a time I did not mind building them, what with thier horrible instructions and fitting issues ! I just dont seem to have the patience for them anymore AT ALL. I open it, I begin working on it, and once all the issues begin. I just put it away, noticed it after going thru 5 kits.

But, if I begin a tamiya, dragon, trumpeter, I finish the build. I hat beginning a kit, only to put it back on the shelf. Maybe my batteries are dead for them, or my inner self has finally yelled "ENOUGH ALREADY".

Maybe in the future I may try again, but for the moment, I could care less and just light them on fire.

I just needed to get this issue off my chest,...............
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 11:49 AM UTC
My shed would burn for months if I lit it the amount of shed insulation (kits) I have.

Only just getting back into regular modelling myself after house extension and I will never reach the quality with painting and build detail a lot of the guys on here get.

I managed to re-kindle my fun side of the modelling by just doing what seems right to me. And as long as I like it, I am happy. If other people do too, then Brucey Bonus .

I still hate it when I spill the glue or fingerprint the paint finish, but I never put my models in for competitions anyhow.

Maybe you just need a break or a different kind of challange!!

Stick in there.

Nige
mvfrog
Visit this Community
entire network: 369 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 11:52 AM UTC
Lou..

step away from the bench...go get a Trumpeter....open it and inhale the styrene, and dreams of glory and the smell of victory will come back to you...build you must!

I know exactly how you feel. Take a step back, and come back later. Don't buy those brands anymore. I had the same problem with a manufacturer to remain unnamed...it causes me to sweat when I hear the name.

We all started in this hobby to have fun. So, have fun..we've all been there.

Matt a cold one wouldn't hurt
UncaBret
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 767 Posts
KitMaker Network: 89 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 12:01 PM UTC
I felt that way about the HobbyBoss T34/85 I bought. Everybody said it was such a great kit!

Then I tried to build it.
More flash than the 16+ Tamiya's I've built and the fit was terrible! The instructions wander all over and half of the locating holes were unlocatable.

Argh. I still haven't finished it.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 12:20 PM UTC
Do you know that Alan kits have hit the market in Dragon boxes?

Do you know that if it is a modern former Soviet armor kit by Zvezda, then inside the box is an old Dragon kit? (the exception is the BMD kit).

About half of Zvezda line are reboxed Italeri kits.

ICM figures and accessories are included in certain Tamiya kits.

I can name quite a few Trumpeter kits (older ones) that you would most likely never finish and declare those kits a waste of glue and paint.

My point is you can't swear off a model company. The lines between companies has blurred over the years.
outback
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 87 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 12:23 PM UTC
I've built Trumpeter, Dragon, Tamiya, even Airfix. I bought my first ICM spitfire. My god. What a culture shock. Then I had a thought which is, in itself, a rare event. With all the new kits with 700+ parts, PE, etc what better way to test your modelling skills than by making one of the low end kits look good. I'd have more respect for someone who could wow the audience with an ICM like kit. Look at it as a challenge rather than a chore. I've since bought some more ICM kits more for the subject material than the kit quality and I don't feel as frustrated any more as I know what to expect.

Cheers
S.
CReading
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 12:52 PM UTC
Lou,

Maybe you should reconsider the scale! Seriously, Zvezda has some pretty nice 1:35 stuff now days. Look at their L-4500 A Mercedes truck.
Maybe it's the heat down there that's got you frustrated?

Cheers,
Charles
panzer_fan
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 427 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 01:10 PM UTC
Lou, then why do you keep starting those kits? Just to get some relief, get yourself a nice Tamiya or DML kit build it, then another one and when you feel in need for a challenge, pick up one of those kits that you started and never finished and have at it. I think you should reconsider quitting. What are you going to do? Start knitting - nahhh it's too warm in that part of the world to do that. Take a deep breath and get youuself a nice easy to build kit, even if it seems too simple to do it. Remember, we all do it for the fun of it, not to get our nerves to the point of snapping. A glass of cold german beer will ease off the tension. Cheers!
Careos
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 85 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 01:15 PM UTC
Take it from someone who has quit and restarted several times...I used to try to "practice" on the lower quality kits because I was afraid of messing up a good Tamiya kit. I would end up quitting and now I am littered with half built things.

Finally, I dove into a Tamiya kit and it is quite clear why they cost so much, the castings are very clean and the fit is great. Do yourself a favor, for less than 30.00 US you can get into a nice Tamiya 1/48. For a few bucks more you can get a 1/35 Dragon with some PE stuff already in the box.

You owe it to yourself man. Stick it out like I did. Eventually you will start going back and knocking out this crap kits one at a time.
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,138 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 01:21 PM UTC
Hmmm...the fact you are posting on here makes me think maybe you're not 100% sure about quitting and are looking for support/feedback. I know how you feel. I have hundreds of unbuilt kits, many of which are derided by more advanced modellers. With a bit of tweaking, detailing and a great paint job, they can look pretty good though. I am currently struggling with Maquette's supposed 1941 Model T-34. Yipes. I probably increased X-Actos profits by 50% with the blades I went through! The result looks ok, but would not win a contest - but it's about fun and personal satisfaction. Unfortunately I have no less than four other Maquette T-34's so they will probably end up as captured or what if vehicles to hide their shortcomings! Try something else like a car or ship kit, or even something weird like a Rat Fink figure or Gundam. Read some military or modelling books. Take a break, then come back with a fresh perspective. You'll be glad you did. Now to give the Maquette monster a rest and start on my Pinto Dragster! Oh yeah, nice big Mickey Thompsons on a tubbed out Pinto!
Spades
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 03:07 PM UTC
Reading all of your replies, all hit home right on the button. Maybe just tired, I think I will stop building the lesser kits (and scale, charles). I have never been this way, its just frustrating, you want to build, than you try to build, than the itch just leaves like it wasnt thier. Does not take much, just a crappy fit on the 1st try and its over.

Will just relax and try to knit !!! Knit me a sweator.....ohhhh god........imagine. Its funny, I have read others posts saying they too were tired. And I would think, why? How ? R u nuts ? Now I understand....I have plastic burnout.

Time for a cold one , its too hot. Here's one for all you as well.
UncaBret
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 767 Posts
KitMaker Network: 89 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 03:23 PM UTC
I've got the next round.
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 12:42 AM UTC
Hey folks

I am a typical Aberdonian!

only one and a thousand straws to go around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tee Hee
jaypee
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,699 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 01:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've built Trumpeter, Dragon, Tamiya, even Airfix. I bought my first ICM spitfire. My god. What a culture shock. Then I had a thought which is, in itself, a rare event. With all the new kits with 700+ parts, PE, etc what better way to test your modelling skills than by making one of the low end kits look good. I'd have more respect for someone who could wow the audience with an ICM like kit. Look at it as a challenge rather than a chore. I've since bought some more ICM kits more for the subject material than the kit quality and I don't feel as frustrated any more as I know what to expect.

Cheers
S.

I totally agree, when are Tamiya going to do a polikarpov I-15 ? Never. ICM do a range of them. It is the only way they can compete.
Equally you will never get to practice your finishing if you can't get the kit built to your satisfaction. For me that is the area I need to
at work so I'll build tamiya and the like so I can practice painting. This is all about burn out. Take a break, change genre, paint a figure. Have a smoke or walk the dog.

That is pretty nice the way everyone rallies around, and says "Don't quit, have some crack instead, it's easy and you won't get hooked, you can go back to rough kits anytime".

Aye right!

Like your style nige, are you going to Perth at the weekend?

bizzychicken
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 967 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 01:53 AM UTC
Stop think, dont think to much and buy a new Tamiya Kit .Stop look at it, start and I bet it fits together spot on. Stop Think about how you're going to paint it . Dont think to much about which paint job you are going to do. Start painting and ............ The Magic will return Njoy youself and don't beat yourself up LOL Geraint
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
entire network: 3,212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 250 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 02:15 AM UTC
Take a break....have a kit-kat....change genre & do something different

Try a Fine Molds star wars x or y-wing for quality fit!
Careos
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 85 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 04:31 AM UTC
Hey Lou, go out right now and buy a SdKfz 251 Hanomag from Tamiya, I wish I had found this kit when I started, honestly. I had alot of the same feelings as you, now I wish I would have started off with this one. The fit is great, its very easy to put together, has an interior so you can learn some detailing and best of all its 14.99!! This is a top quality 1/35 kit for a very cheap price.

Go buy the kit, sign up for the APC Campaign and get cracking. I'm right along side with ya. I have a build log going in the Feedback section.
JackFlash
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 11,669 Posts
KitMaker Network: 290 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 04:51 AM UTC
There there. Try a nice 1/48 Eduard, 1/48 or 1/32 Roden or 1/32 Wingnut wings WWI aircraft kit . These have been known to bring focus to one's modeling efforts. Its like plastic Zen. OOOOooooooommmmmmm! OOOOooooooommmmmmm!

"Cleanse the palate and the mind. Then you will know true harmony and bring balance to the force. Of course to reach true Nirvana you need an all-girl ground crew and a few late night alcohol induced pillow fights. . ." The lord high imperious poohbah and altruistic head of the brotherhood of good fellowship and keeper of the key to door of this illustrious organization. 1907.
Spades
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 06:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There there. Try a nice 1/48 Eduard, 1/48 or 1/32 Roden or 1/32 Wingnut wings WWI aircraft kit . These have been known to bring focus to one's modeling efforts. Its like plastic Zen. OOOOooooooommmmmmm! OOOOooooooommmmmmm!

"Cleanse the palate and the mind. Then you will know true harmony and bring balance to the force. Of course to reach true Nirvana you need an all-girl ground crew and a few late night alcohol induced pillow fights. . ." The lord high imperious poohbah and altruistic head of the brotherhood of good fellowship and keeper of the key to door of this illustrious organization. 1907.

I love it !!! Will go look right now for the all girl ground crew. I think I will do the simple kits for awhile. I think I will go out and get the SdKfz 251 Hanomag. It would be different from my usual HEART ATTACK INDUCED ICM / etc kits.
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 06:42 AM UTC
The all girl ground crew is always willing to help out a fellow modeler relieve that built up tension do to the plastic blues !
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 06:54 AM UTC
The ICM PzKpfw II F Flamingo (and the II D it is based off of) is a fairly nice little kit. Additionally, the PzKpfw II L Luchs was a nice kit too.
BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 1,624 Posts
KitMaker Network: 30 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 07:06 AM UTC
Terri,
. Don't get'em thinking to naughty. This is a Family site after all.

More beer. .

Lou,
Don't to it man!!!!
cheese
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 106 Posts
KitMaker Network: 27 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 07:38 AM UTC
Had the same thing happen to me this week.........just threw that Italeri A-10 straight in the trash and picked up Trumpeter's LAV-AT......what a relief

fealt bad about throwing the kit away, so i posted a thread to see what others had thought.......im not a pack rat so i cant hold onto the kit, plus i couldnt have it shame me by sitting there in the box, still ALIVE.....I needed to end its misery (or my misery).....so I ran it over with a good old fashioned 100% OOB build with aboslutely no real references to look from......i even posted the build and had to ask for an opinion on what paint job, cause i really wasnt in the mood to stress myself out......found a really cool idea too.....

build on buddy, build on.......just toss those things in the fire and dance (right terri?)......just dance man
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 11:20 AM UTC
I would suggest walking away for a while and returning to it after you have had a break. I have put everything away for as much as a year at a time, but quit NEVER.
 _GOTOTOP